Talk

Advanced search

Flu jab reaction in pregnancy

(15 Posts)
Mulderitssme Sat 21-Nov-20 22:06:04

Hi everyone. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and had the flu jab today. I've started feeling bloody awful with the most horrendous lower back pain. I do have fibromyalgia so I'm just wondering if it's my pain sensitivity making things worse. I'm achy elsewhere as well.

Anyone had issues with the flu jab?

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
Oneandabean Sat 21-Nov-20 22:20:58

I had no issues with flu jab. It’s not a live vaccine so there shouldn’t be side effects

PlanBea Sat 21-Nov-20 22:24:57

I have fibro and had my flu jab at around 10 weeks pregnant - I can't remember exactly when because, well, time is weird in 2020! I didn't have any reaction to the flu jab other than an achey arm for a few days.

To be honest, it sounds like it was a coincidence that it started after flu jab. I'm 16 weeks and my back has been sore most of this week. Its worse when I've been lugging myself about to do a food shop. I don't know if it's the emergence of bump that's suddenly put pressure on my back causing things to flare up but it is too long ago to have been the flu jab.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mulderitssme Sat 21-Nov-20 22:54:05

Thank you for the replies. It probably is coincidence but I feel awful. Hopefully it will feel better soon.

emma911030 Sun 22-Nov-20 00:05:09

I've had the flu jab every year for the last 11 years I had it with my first pregnancy abs this one and I've not had any issues at all smile like you said probably just a coincidence x

planner10 Sun 22-Nov-20 00:09:48

Flu jab can give you side effects (it's on the nhs website - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/) but should normally be mild and over in a day or two. I always gets side effects after - normally mildish fever and aches and pains, but nothing like actual flu, just feel pretty crap for a couple of days then fine. Hope you feel better soon x

Rebecca299 Sun 22-Nov-20 08:33:05

Hey I felt a bit off after my flu jab and my arm was so sore. Funnily enough my mum had hers on Tuesday and has been moaning all week about feeling rubbish. X

Disappointedkoala Sun 22-Nov-20 08:48:32

I didn't this year but in previous years (when not pregnant) I've had a few chills and aches & pains for a day or so afterwards. I always get a sore arm though!

CoalCraft Sun 22-Nov-20 09:04:44

You can feel a bit run down and crap after the flu jab - that's a good thing in a way as it means your immune system is waking up and responding well (immune systems are quite energy intensive so can leave you feeling fatigued).

I would hazard a guess that the back pain is a coincidence, or just another "bit run down" thing.

If it persists for 48 hours after the jab though, call your GP for reassurance.

Nimsay1 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:59:56

I felt a little nauseas and achy and had a headache for a couple days - these are all listed as very common side effects that will affect most people. My midwife actually said the stronger your reaction after, the more effective the vaccine will be for you, although I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Mulderitssme Sun 22-Nov-20 17:52:44

Thank you. I've never been this far in pregnancy so everything is still new to me.

Dontthowthetoast Sun 22-Nov-20 18:44:58

I'm unfortunately 5 weeks post diagnosis of transverse myelitis which occurred 10 days post flu jab at 21 weeks pregnant. The neurological team believe that I may have had an extreme flu jab reaction.

Please please keep an eye on yourself and if you feel you need to be checked call 111 or the midwife.

SunnySideUp2020 Sun 22-Nov-20 19:35:31

I had the flu jab when 16 weeks and apart from sore arm the day after i didn't even remember i had it!
(Was expecting some side effects but nothing)

ScotchBunnet Mon 23-Nov-20 05:52:12

You poor soul. I didn’t have a reaction to the flu vaccine myself.

Hope you feel better soon!

BessieBye Mon 23-Nov-20 06:10:46

Hey, I had the flu jab end of October and I felt rotten for days. Headaches absolutely crippled me and my skin aches. The nurse did warn me I could get headaches, soreness on my arm and cold & flu like symptoms. I said I’m not getting it next year! I’m only doing it this year as I have a baby inside me that needs looking after. X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in