Screening test showed high chance of issues - I've chosen no further tests, anyone else?

(6 Posts)
morningcuppatea Fri 30-Oct-20 09:07:41

Hi, I thought I would make this thread incase anyone else is in a similar position or has been in the past and would like to share their stories.

My screening test results came back with a 1 in 40 chance of Edwards and Patau and a 1 in 110 chance of Down's syndrome as well as low Papp-a.

I have chosen not to have any of the other tests available, although I will be having extra scans with a consultant.

I feel happy with my decision as if I hadn't had the 12 week screening test I would just think everything was fine now anyway and the consultant has seemed happy with my scans so far but there is still a cloud hanging over us.

Is anyone else in the same position or been through similar that would like to talk about it?

OP’s posts: |
StaceImpactWfan Fri 30-Oct-20 21:54:12

I didn't have the screening test with any of mine, but at 20 week scan with my second problems were picked up. I had to have a rescan to make sure and the same things were picked up. I had to go to a fetal medicine facility to have detailed scans on my sons heart turned out he was 1 in 4 chance of downs syndrome. I refused all tests and had 21 scans altogether through maternity and fetal medicine. Apart from being small for his age and having a hole in his heart (which is now closed) he is a 'healthy' 4 year old now.

justanotherneighinparadise Fri 30-Oct-20 21:55:43

I think you stand a good chance if things being okay. I on the other hand had a terrible Harmony result and an amino showed that test to be accurate.

morningcuppatea Sat 31-Oct-20 11:03:55

@StaceImpactWfan thank you for your reply, it's good to hear that. At my 16 week scan the consultant picked up on a small hole in baby's heart but she said it was too early to read anything into that and she'll check again at 20 weeks, I feel a lot of confidence in my consultant and that I will be having scans every 4 weeks.

@justanotherneighinparadise I'm sorry to hear it wasn't good news for you thanks

OP’s posts: |
justanotherneighinparadise Sat 31-Oct-20 11:36:11

That was a completely different test though OP. Hence my comment that you have every right to be hopeful 👌

ZooKeeper19 Sat 31-Oct-20 20:35:24

@morningcuppatea OP we had a 1:52 for Downs, went for Harmony and all was well. So I'd say do as you feel happy, the chances even in 1:40 are still small (think 39 white balls and 1 black ball in a bag how probable you are to pick the one ball?).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in