Food at 4 months

(11 Posts)
boymum4 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:44:17

My ds is 4 months old on the 10th of November. I have had to exclusively pump and feed him breast milk in a bottle since he was 6 weeks old due to him not latching properly. I have to express 6-8 times a day and I'm really struggling to produce enough since he has started becoming hungrier.

I'm am stressing because I didn't plan to feed him food until he is 6 months, but I don't know what to do as I can't seem to get enough milk whatever I do.

What are people's views on purées at 4 months?

OP’s posts: |
wannabebump Thu 29-Oct-20 15:47:56

What about using formula instead of BF?

WhiteVixen Thu 29-Oct-20 15:48:24

If I was in your shoes I'd switch to formula over starting solids at this age. Or have you tried getting him to latch on to your breast using a breast shield?
I'd really do everything you can to wait until 6 months before starting solids. Milk should be the main source of their nutrition until 12 months of age.

LittleMissLockdown Thu 29-Oct-20 15:52:51

If I were in your position I would introduce some formula rather than purees. Starting weaning too early could lead to gut issues.

On a slight tangent I honestly dont get why people are so quick to want to start weaning. I started DS at 5 months on the advice of health professionals and it's all just such a lot more stress, washing and general effort. Stick with just milk for as long as possible.

Nimsay1 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:59:09

Purées won't have the right nutrition for him at that age. Up to one year old food should always just be used to top up milk, not as their main source of nutrition.

As previous posters have said, just move to formula.

NoGoodPunsLeft Thu 29-Oct-20 16:02:46

Try nipple shields first because they mimic bottle teats, the formula if they don't work

thetangleteaser Thu 29-Oct-20 16:25:38

Food like purées aren’t as calorie dense as milk, so if he’s hungry he’s hungry for milk as food won’t fill him up, they take such small amounts too at first. He’s probably having a growth spurt so feeding more, maybe introduce one bottle of formula a day and see if that helps😊

You’ve done amazing to exclusively pump all this time, that’s not and easy job at all!

Advertisement

Teakind Thu 29-Oct-20 16:41:48

I agree with other posters who say to give formula instead.

Also, well done on all that pumping!

midnightstar66 Thu 29-Oct-20 16:51:46

You can combi feed with formula and wean off the pumping at what ever rate you feel. Food is just for tasting even at 6 months and won't replace any milk at this stage

Helenknowsbest Thu 29-Oct-20 17:51:54

I started a little puree at 4-5 months but I agree with other posters, try him on formula. As they still need milk

EmilySpinach Thu 29-Oct-20 17:55:05

Give him formula.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in