Housing issues anyone know how to go about this please ?

(5 Posts)
IndecentFeminist Thu 29-Oct-20 16:30:38

I think it would be a 1 bed? And not until you can demonstrate overcrowding.

Do you work?

Oneandabean Thu 29-Oct-20 16:28:18

If you’re already on the housing register there’s not much more you can do. Inform them as soon as baby is born and they may see if as more priority. Although baby can be with you until 1 so you’ll likely end up with a 1 bedroom or a house share. You should be able to claim housing benefit if you went down the private rental route.

Thegirlhasnoname Thu 29-Oct-20 15:24:30

As far as I know they won’t consider you more of a priority until your baby is born when it becomes clear that there is overcrowding in your parents house. You might get put into temporary accommodation though as social housing lists are quite long

Most councils take the view that a child can share a room with their parent(s), regardless of the sex of the child, until they are quite a bit older (I seem to have 5 in my head but citizens advice or shelter would know) so unless you go into private renting, with housing benefit paying for your rent, I would be unsure that the council would give you a 2 bedroom anytime soon

Good luck and congratulations

PlanDeRaccordement Thu 29-Oct-20 15:15:16

I’ve only watched documentaries so can’t really advise. I think only thing may be to argue for higher priority on housing register due to even worse over crowding once baby is born? I hope someone with experience can come along and be more specific, sorry I can’t really help you. And best wishes for you and your baby.

maymay6575 Thu 29-Oct-20 12:46:46

Hi ladies I'm currently 29weeks pregnant and 20 years old I've lived in my house since I was born with my mum and little brother who's 12 I currently share a bedroom with him 😓 which is ridiculous my house is very overcrowded as there's only 2 bedrooms especially with a new born coming. I'm having a little boy so they said I'm entitled for a two bedroom house is there anyway to go about this housing issue with the Council I'm already on the housing register

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in