Missed period but not pregnant?

(5 Posts)
PlanBea Tue 27-Oct-20 11:47:20

It can take a while for your body to settle after being on hormonal contraception. When I was TTC I had a random 85+ day cycle, sometimes you have annovulatory cycles (when you don't release an egg) that either are or aren't followed by a bleed. These are completely normal, and nothing to worry about, but frustrating! My GP said to use a pregnancy test once a week until my period arrived or I got a positive.

The best way to figure out what's going on is by tracking your basal body temperature. Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler is the go-to guide of temping. It will let you know when you have ovulated and you can then figure out when your period is due/what issues you might have with your cycle etc.

Notanotherusernamenow Tue 27-Oct-20 10:13:42

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Ugh chemical hormones are the worst!

OP’s posts: |
3rdtimelucky2019 Tue 27-Oct-20 08:33:27

My periods disappeared for 4 months after stopping the pill

Shawla92 Tue 27-Oct-20 08:19:56

Hi OP my situation was a little different to yours but I started trying (casually) last October and had been on no contraception for years prior (just used condoms) and it took us 6 months to conceive despite family member falling pregnant quickly. My periods were like yours, sane time every month, only for a few days, no pain....perfect! In January this year I completely skipped a period but wasnt pregnant and I do think it was due to stress (subconsciously) as I aware that my partner was starting to worry we couldn't get pregnant. Anyway after completely relaxing about the whole TTC situation we fell pregnant in February however that ended in a chemical and then must have got straight after I was pregnant again in the March and our baby is due in December. I think the pressure you may be putting on yourself to get pregnant within such a short timeframe maybe affecting your periods and you need to try and just go with the flow but if you are concerned then phone your GP. Good luck!

Notanotherusernamenow Tue 27-Oct-20 08:06:47

I stopped the pill at the start of September and we started trying casually.

I had a post-pill period early September and not had one since. Took 2 tests last night: definitely not pregnant!

My sister, mum and MIL all got pregnant in first 3-6weeks of trying so this has really surprised us. I also - in the rare times I have been off the pill for a while (6ish months) or before I was on it - have always had easy, regular periods (not heavy at all, very regular, no real mood swings etc). I was quite late starting - was around 15 years old? - and they have always been really quite light (I can get away with just wearing black knickers on all but one day when I might use a tampon) sorry TMI!

So now I’m baffled. No period for nearly 2 months... but not pregnant.

Should I be worried? Should I see the dr or will they just say it’s normal when you have been on the pill for 14ish years bar the odd 6 months? I’m 34 btw.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in