Postpartum bleeding?

(10 Posts)
Lolarosemama Mon 26-Oct-20 06:35:52

I’m two weeks postpartum tomorrow and still have period like bleeding after a c section. Is this normal? I’m only needing one maternity pad a day but everything I’ve read says that bleeding should have slowed by now. Not sure what to do!

Please share your experience!

OP’s posts: |
Sipperskipper Mon 26-Oct-20 06:40:00

It was like that for me after my section. It did go lighter over time, but then every now and then would turn to fresh red blood again. My consultant said that is very normal. I think its only really a concern if you are starting to 'flood', the loss smells offensive, or you are feeling unwell. Maybe give your midwife a ring just to be on the safe side, but your experience sounds similar to mine.

Lolarosemama Mon 26-Oct-20 07:17:01

Thanks @Sipperskipper!
Anyone else?

larrythelizard Mon 26-Oct-20 07:19:18

I think I bled for 3-4 weeks ish after my C section. Only heavy for the first week or so.

Like a pp says, it's big clots, flooding and it being really smelly that you're watching out for.

BuffaloCauliflower Mon 26-Oct-20 07:20:56

It can last up to 6 weeks. If you’re only needing one pad a day it has slowed down.

DisgruntledPelican Mon 26-Oct-20 07:27:08

One pad a day sounds like it has slowed down really. I bled for nearer three weeks and i am sure NHS guidelines say up to six weeks is considered normal.

Wishing56 Mon 26-Oct-20 07:33:46

I bled for 6 weeks. It did get lighter after 3 weeks but sometimes had a few heavy days. My MW said it would get heavy when I had overdone things.

Advertisement

ILoveFlumps Mon 26-Oct-20 07:40:08

Bleeding can take a while to settle down. But. Do keep an eye on it. DS4 born in the Nov. I was still bleeding by Christmas, not overly heavy, GP said normal.
January came and one day I woke up and was saturated. It was flooding with clots. Went to GP same day. He said it was my period hmm. Went back home with tranexamic acid. Maternity pads were lasting 5 mins. Following day just as bad, I felt awful. Saw a different GP. Was rushed into hospital as by this point I had sepsis and lost a lot of blood. Turn out the junior doctor had left a huge part of the placenta inside when they did my section. Another 24 hours and it would have been a different story.
This isn’t to scare you OP, but just keep an eye on it, and if you have any changes to the bleeding see your GP ASAP.

fuckfuckingcovid19 Mon 26-Oct-20 07:48:24

I bled for 6 weeks (vaginal birth)

Lolarosemama Mon 26-Oct-20 09:14:40

@ILoveFlumps that sounds awful.

Thanks everyone. Thankfully my health visitor is coming today so I’ve got an opportunity to raise concerns!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in