Bicornuate (heart shaped) uterus

(5 Posts)
Symphony87 Tue 06-Oct-20 22:26:56

I have one. It was discovered when I had an early pregnancy scan to rule out ectopic pregnancy. The scan showed what looked like a cornual ectopic pregnancy so I was rushed into surgery. The surgeon discovered my womb was a funny shape and the scan had been misleading because of it.

This was in August and I’ve not been told anything more about it but the midwife I saw at my 16 week appointment today says we just have to ‘wait and see’ if it causes any issues. I’m hoping it doesn’t

aureliacecilia Tue 06-Oct-20 19:45:46

Parkandride

I was told I have one from a scan, then had a hystoscopy and they changed their mind. Had forgotten that until I saw your thread. What is your history?

Premature birth with no explanation. Baby was well grown and a good size for his gestation so no suggestion of a placental issue and also no sign of infection. He was also breech. I think it's quite possible he simply ran out of room and that's why my waters broke... He was delivered by c-section due to the breech presentation. I assume the check is to establish whether I need another c-section and if there's any reason why I can't make it to term/further scans I need. My son's head was a really odd shape when he was born so he definitely was squished up somewhere - I suppose that could be my uterus or my ribs though! I think the consultant is mostly trying to reassure me that there's no reason why I can't go to term this time.

OP’s posts: |
saywhatwhatnow Tue 06-Oct-20 19:42:48

My friend had several miscarriages and after scans/testing was told she had a very obvious bicournuate uterus and baby basically only grew in one side. She had two successful pregnancies with lots of extra monitoring and planned c-secs. I don't know how 'bad' it has to be to very noticeable on scans though. What's your history?

Parkandride Tue 06-Oct-20 19:38:07

I was told I have one from a scan, then had a hystoscopy and they changed their mind. Had forgotten that until I saw your thread. What is your history?

aureliacecilia Tue 06-Oct-20 18:58:05

I'm being referred for a scan so a consultant can check whether I have a bicornuate uterus due to my pregnancy/birth history. I had three scans in my last pregnancy and one so far in this pregnancy... If I had a bicornuate uterus, wouldn't someone have noticed by now?! The consultant said not necessarily...

If you have been told you have a bicornuate uterus, please could you tell me when/how it was identified?

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in