Elective section ?

(4 Posts)
Wotsits4357542 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:03:17

I have the option of an elective section due to severe anxiety. I’m still not decided tbh. First baby, ivf baby and took many years to become pregnant. My anxiety and the thought something is going to go wrong has been terrible throughout but I’ve luckily had a straight forward low risk pregnancy.
Consultant said they’d advise vaginal but is willing to do the section because of my past mental health history. I struggle with having no control over a situation and the pro of the section is I know when and how my baby will enter the world. I know it’s not an easy way though and keep telling myself some days I can do labour then other days I think just book the section.
Equally terrified of both but I know baby’s got to come out lol.
I’m terrified of the pain of labour too, I don’t cope well at all with period pain and I’m scared the pain will overwhelm me and make me panic.
The pandemic hasn’t helped either and has made me scared of the hospitals, also not being able to have my mom as a second birthing partner has gutted me.
Anyone that has been through the same that opted for natural or election what was your experience?

OP’s posts: |
LifeIsBusy Tue 29-Sep-20 14:19:01

@Wotsits4357542 Personally, I am making my decision based on how much time I would need to be in hospital for which is why i'd prefer not to have a section. Having been through labor though I think there are fantastic options out there in terms of medications, baths, birthing balls ect that all ease you through the process. I would suggest reading into as much of these as possible which for me eased the worry.

Its a total personal decision though so you need to do what would work for you and your family.

duckling3 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:33:30

My situation is very similar to yours from the sounds of it. A long awaited ivf baby, and low risk pregnancy and high anxiety around the birth. I've opted for a c section which has made me calmer .. its in a few weeks so I don't know yet how it will go. I found that before I booked the section I was constantly thinking about which option was best, and once it was booked it was an instant calm that it was sorted and not something which needed me to think about it anymore. I guess everyone's decision may be different depending on which parts of the birth are causing the most anxiety.

Misty999 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:33:32

Similar situation and concerns to you and I went for a section, pregnant again now and have requested a section this time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in