Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pay

(5 Posts)
Jessica12345625 Tue 08-Sep-20 06:37:59

Hello, I returned to work after my first maternity on the 3rd April. I am due for my second baby at the end of October.
I have looked on the allowance for maternity and it says "This is because the SMP entitlement is based on average earnings over an eight week period before the 15th week before the baby is due".
I am not really sure what this means.
Does anyone know the earliest I would be able to take maternity leave?
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 08-Sep-20 06:56:10

Pay is based on earnings in weeks 17-25 of pregnancy and you need to have earned at least £120 in those weeks to qualify.
Have you been told to apply for Maternity Allowance instead?
The earliest leave can start is 29 weeks

lucymagoo Tue 08-Sep-20 07:04:39

There's a calculator on the government website where you answer a few yes or no questions and it will tell you if you're entitled. I had the same issue as I started a new job last week and then got BFP yesterday. Sounds like you will be covered though as I am

Jessica12345625 Tue 08-Sep-20 07:28:27

Thank you so much for your replies. I have applied for SMP but wasn't sure if there was a minimum number of weeks that I had to be back at work for to be entitled to the pay. But I am guessing if I was working between weeks 17 and 25 @dementedpixie then I should be covered?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 08-Sep-20 07:33:35

You are counted as employed even while off on maternity. Your employer claims SMP back so you just need to give them your maternity leave dates and your MatB1

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in