Talk

Advanced search

Early scan - when to book it!?

(10 Posts)
MabelBunny4 Wed 19-Aug-20 08:49:48

Hi everyone!

I finally received my BFP (all 5 of them!) on Saturday!
Hubby and I are absolutely over the moon after a few failed cycles (no where near as many as most, I know, but with irregular and long cycles it was beginning to feel like it would never happen)

As I said, I have irregular/long cycles, usually around 44days.This cycle I used OPKs for the first time (wish I’d have done this sooner!) so I KNOW I didn’t ov until 31st July. Using this date, it suggests I am 4+3.

However, I know the GP/Midwife will date from my LMP which was 1st July, meaning they will date me at 7w.

My question being - I really want to book an early scan both for some reassurance whilst I await my 12 week scan/ hearing from the midwife, and so hubby can join me the first time we see little bubba, as I am aware with current situation he won’t be able to attend any NHS appointments. So when should I book it for?! I’m edging towards the 8w mark as I have done a fair bit of googling and can see there will be more to see, but should I count it as 8w from my dates (ie. when I know I ovulated) or 8w from LMP?

I really want it to be worth while and for us to see something and i know the longer we wait the more likely that is, but at the same time I am feeling super impatient and desperate to just check everything is as it should be!

Have any of you got any early scan stories to share/ advice on when i should book? Also this is my first pregnancy, so do let me know if I am incorrect in thinking I may not be as far along as LMP would suggest by using my ov date.

Many thanks,
A very excited first time mummy!

OP’s posts: |
Sanch1 Wed 19-Aug-20 08:53:53

If you think LMP will date you 3 weeks further on then I would book your scan at when you think/know you are 8 weeks. If you book it by LMP you'll actually only be 5+ something and likely not to see much, and not a heartbeat, which will cause worry. The midwfie will use LMP until your dating scan so refer yourself ASAP if that makes you 7 weeks, it means you'll probably get two scans as you'll be too early and dated back at the first one. Hope that makes sense!

MabelBunny4 Wed 19-Aug-20 09:06:10

Thanks @Sanch1, that’s what I thought, I would hate to pay all that money only to leave feeling more worried than before at no heartbeat or something.

A friend of mine was the same and when she went for her 12 week scan was actually only 10w so had to go back again 2 weeks later, so hopefully that’ll happen to me as well and will get an extra chance to see bubba!

I have referred myself to midwife on Monday so just waiting to hear from them; any idea on when I should expect this? Soon I imagine as I have had to give date of LMP which will make them think i am 7w! I really am super impatient! Haha

X

Sanch1 Wed 19-Aug-20 11:22:07

I had my booking appointment at 8 weeks so shouldn’t be long, although I think some trusts can do booking in at scan.

MabelBunny4 Thu 20-Aug-20 08:23:53

Just trying to bump this back up - anyone else got any advice / experience?

TenThousandSpoons0 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:56:04

Book it 5-6 weeks after your ovulation date. That is 7-8 weeks pregnant as your dating is from 2 weeks before ovulation (assumes that everyone ovulates 2 weeks after LMP). it will be when they think yourE about 10-11 weeks or so.
Week of 7th September going by your ovulation date.
Wouldn’t book earlier than 5 weeks post ovulation unless other worries.

TenThousandSpoons0 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:58:46

Realise I may not have worded that properly - hope it still makes sense!

SequinCola Thu 20-Aug-20 17:07:24

You may well get two scans on NHS - I think that's what I'm looking at having had a scan appointment come through today for when they think I'm around 9 weeks but I'm actually only 8 (both too early for a 'normal' dating scan) and I know this has happened with friends in the past.

Also, it might vary trust to trust but I am allowed to bring my partner with me to my scan and I know that a friend who is a few weeks ahead of me but lives in a completely different part of the country can also take her partner so you might want to wait and see before paying for a private scan if that's your main reason for booking one!

MabelBunny4 Thu 20-Aug-20 20:53:54

@TenThousandSpoons0 thank you so much that makes perfect sense. I was looking at that week or the following week so that’s reassuring that you’ve suggested similar dates 😊

@SequinCola that’s really promising to know some areas are starting to allow partners in for scans! 🤞🏼 Hopefully that’ll happen where I am too! It wasn’t the only reason for the private scan though, I think because it’s our first pregnancy we’re just super impatient and can’t imagine having to wait u til 12 weeks 🙈

Thanks so much x

TenThousandSpoons0 Thu 20-Aug-20 21:11:24

Forgot to say congratulationssmile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in