Talk

Advanced search

Princess Royal University Hospital in Orpington

(3 Posts)
ChatWithMe Sat 15-Aug-20 12:34:12

Hello.

I had an unpleasant postnatal experience at this hospital early 2018. I'm going to deliver again there early 2021. Worried that staff shortage (or poor staff quality) will make it difficult to look after myself and baby postnatally (if we're admitted like last time) due to Covid restricted visiting times. I depended on my husband a lot last time.

Anyone had their baby there in the last year or two and want to share their experiences?

TIA x

OP’s posts: |
Eggy18 Mon 17-Aug-20 11:29:56

Why was it unpleasant? I am 25 weeks pregnant and so far I am very unhappy with their care, this is my second pregnancy, but the first one at Princess Royal, as I was living in central London for my first.

I am not sure if the lack of care is due to Covid or just the way they are there.

ChatWithMe Mon 17-Aug-20 15:18:43

Hi Eggy18. Thanks for your reply.

I had an induction around 38 weeks. I was happy with the care I received prior to that on the maternal assessment unit. I was also happy with the labour actually. The first midwife who started me on induction pessary and monitoring was lovely.

However after the baby was born I went to postnatal ward. There were two people that were really uncaring. One was the midwife I had on nights (I was on that ward Monday to Wednesday nights). Another was a student who was rude to a non English speaking woman who sat on the wrong bed not realising about infection control rules, poor thing.

Anyway this midwife not only told me off for making a mess of the bed with blood and urine (from a catheter that kept coming apart) but had no compassion for me in severe pain from the trauma of a forceps delivery. I had to repeatedly track her down pleading for pain meds (wandering the corridors at night in pain and worried about leaving my baby alone). I sometimes couldn't feed my baby right away when he cried as no one answered my calls (I couldn't sit up and then pickhim up from the side cot due to stabbing pains in my nether regions).The room was hot and I didn't want my baby at risk of SIDs so intentionally removed the hat placed on his head. She tried replacing it and said babies need to keep warm so I had to explain the actual risk of harm from overheating.

I hope you have a better experience but do record names if any poor care!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in