Talk

Advanced search

E cigarettes in pregnancy

(7 Posts)
Newmumoldmum Fri 07-Aug-20 11:07:42

I’m currently 7+6 & use an e cigarette, haven’t smoked for years but I just can’t seem to give up the e cig. Has anyone used one throughout pregnancy, currently using one, or have any tips on how to give it up for good. TIA

OP’s posts: |
mamamilkmachine Fri 07-Aug-20 11:14:58

Maybe try going down on your nicotine level and eventually go down to zero. Then it's just the habit to break and not the nicotine addiction.

SprogletsMum Fri 07-Aug-20 11:16:58

I used one through my last two pregnancies. Babies were both fine, dd3 was 9lb so definitely growth restricted or anything.
I definitely should have stopped but didn't manage to and figured its better than smoking.

Newmumoldmum Fri 07-Aug-20 11:22:50

@mamamilkmachine that’s my plan, I don’t feel overly addicted to nicotine, it’s more the hand to mouth habit, looking at zero nicotine options.
@SprogletsMum I used one in my last pregnancy & baby was fine, born at 37 weeks weighing 6lb, I wouldn’t expect a big baby as I’m only a size 6 but does make me wonder

TinnedPearsForPudding Fri 07-Aug-20 11:29:29

You will have lots of people here saying "well I used an e-cigarette or smoked throughout pregnancy and mine were fine". Well yes, their experience was good. Scientific studies looking at hundreds of thousands of women smoking through pregnancy shows a clear link between cigarette smoke & low birth weight. The pleural of anecdote is not data - cheesy but true.

E-cigarettes are increasingly seen by health professionals as a less toxic alternative to smoking cigarettes and a useful tool for people to wean themselves off of nicotine
E-cigarettes are certainly less toxic than "normal" cigarettes with far fewer other chemicals & toxins but nicotine crosses the placenta to your baby.....whether or not you choose to expose your unborn baby to a highly addictive drug is ultimately your decision

Newmumoldmum Fri 07-Aug-20 11:41:57

Just managed to find some of the refills with zero nicotine so I’ve ordered some & will give them a go. I’d NEVER smoke an actual cigarette while pregnant, I just don’t want to stress myself out trying to stop the e cig, hopefully zero nicotine is a start

TinnedPearsForPudding Fri 07-Aug-20 11:45:45

Every reduction you are able to make will be a positive step for your baby. Well done for aiming for zero.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in