Talk

Advanced search

Mat B1 forms - time limit

(16 Posts)
SilverLining89 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:29:22

Hi everyone,

I'm 28 +6, due 24/10. As a school teacher I have been off since March and haven't had a chance to hand back my Maternity leave forms to HR at my workplace. I intended to do it this week, but despite having two midwife appointments now(!) I keep forgetting to ask for the Mat B1 forms to give to my employer.

I have another midwife appointment at 32 weeks on 01/09 and will ask for them then.

Is there a time limit on when this can be done? I'm just worried my employer can suspend maternity pay or amend the amount depending on when I hand it in ...

I think when I get to the appointments I'm so anxious to be measured and excited to hear baby, I just forget! grin

OP’s posts: |
Thegirlhasnoname Fri 07-Aug-20 09:45:35

I think it depends on your employers and how strict they are about it.

I know somebody who didn’t get hers until 29 weeks; her employers are fine about it but her husbands work said that he is not eligible to take paid paternity leave due to it being late

HeeeeyDuggee Fri 07-Aug-20 09:48:29

My employer are pretty strict and insist it’s given in by 25 weeks. With Ds2 I missed this because I was in hospital so they told me to send it in and wrote a covering letter explaining. No hassle but I’d say it’s worth speaking to your HR team to clarify as some places can be a right pain and forgetting to ask for it might not be considered a valid reason

Also you don’t need to see your midwife you can ask her to leave it at reception for you

Newmummyxx Fri 07-Aug-20 09:48:32

Hey I also work in a school and just sent my form over at 23 weeks. I’ve heard that they should be sent in before 25 weeks or it could delay your maternity pay. You could ring up the doctors/midwife and ask if you can collect it asap. x

SilverLining89 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:13:07

Hi ladies, thanks very much for your replies smile

I just spoke to my midwife team and a MW said that although employers might grumble about you getting it in early, they can't penalise you for handing it in later in your pregnancy. She said it isn't possible to collect one at this time and to wait for the next appointment. 🤷🏼‍♀️

@Newmummyxx I think you just have to inform your employer of your intention to take mat leave before the end of the 25th week otherwise it puts your mat leave in jeopardy. smile

I will ring HR and see what they say, will let you know. Fingers crossed!

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Fri 07-Aug-20 10:20:53

You are not too late as long as you have informed them of your pregnancy and when you want your leave to start by 25 weeks of pregnancy. The .Gov website says this:

You need to give your employer proof of the pregnancy to getSMP. You do not need it for maternity leave.

Within 21 days of yourSMPstart date (or as soon as possible if the baby’s born early) give your employer either:

- a letter from your doctor or midwife
- your MATB1 certificate - doctors and midwives will give you this no more than 20 weeks before the due date

dementedpixie Fri 07-Aug-20 10:25:13

@Thegirlhasnoname the partner doesn't need the matB1 to get paternity leave but does need to apply for the leave by the 25th week of pregnancy. If he is late applying then they can refuse to grant the leave.

peachypetite Fri 07-Aug-20 10:37:03

@dementedpixie do you have a link to a source about the 25 weeks for dads?

HeeeeyDuggee Fri 07-Aug-20 10:39:57

@dementedpixie

www.gov.uk/employers-paternity-pay-leave/notice-period

peachypetite Fri 07-Aug-20 10:54:47

Cheers!!

Natalie654321 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:56:39

Oh no 😩 I am 27 weeks and my husband hasn't requested paternity leave yet 😩😩😩😩

RollercoasterRaver Fri 07-Aug-20 10:59:49

I'm HR and super relaxed about it, we've had late ones and would never deny paternity leave or pay due to that. The risk of a discrimination claim is too high.

Your HR should be asking for it too, I chase my guys up as even I submitted mine late.

To cover yourself (this is cheeky as heck) I'd contact HR and ask if they've received it yet, they'll say no and then you can say you've sent it and will need to get another one then. That kind of thing grin

HeeeeyDuggee Fri 07-Aug-20 11:00:38

@Natalie654321 I’d suggest he speaks to his HR ASAP. Some places will over look it and not be mean but I’ve known other places refuse it Or delay it. Dads have ended up having to take leave or unpaid leave instead

OnSilverStars Fri 07-Aug-20 11:04:44

I'm a teacher and I handed mine in after my baby was born! Had forgotten. There were no problems

Natalie654321 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:14:37

@heeeeyduggee
I have just told him to email, thank you. I really hope he can still get it 😩

peachypetite Fri 07-Aug-20 11:20:20

I won’t be getting mine until 28 weeks which is my first face to face appt since 11 weeks. Hr have said they understand we aren’t in normal times. They’d also usually need To see the original but will accept a scan.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in