Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ESSENTIAL OILS - in carrier oil for massage - are they definitely a no no?

(12 Posts)
slim22 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:15:21

Hi,

I've always used them and sometimes make my own blends.can't live without them.

The serious literature on the subjects says they are definitely proscribed orally but OK in difuser and for massage in carrier oil.

I'm using lots of clarins stuff (tonic oil and scrub/anti eau oil)

Anybody else?
Any aromatherapist around?

nikki7984 Mon 01-Oct-07 12:21:30

Hi Slim22

I have been told that the Clarins Tonic Oil is ok as it has very low levels of essential oil in it and they use it for there pregnancy massages. I use it every day and cant get enough of it!!!!!!

Not sure about other blends... but i also use an organic shampoo which contains some low levels of essential oils .

honeyapple Mon 01-Oct-07 14:31:44

Lavender should def be avoided until 37 wks pg. (apparently)

goingfor3 Mon 01-Oct-07 14:38:49

Neals Yard pregnancy massage oil contains
Ingredients - soya oil*, almond oil*, wheatgerm oil, neroli oil*, mandarin oil*. So those olis must be safe for use.

kerioke Mon 01-Oct-07 14:47:05

hello! had this query myself in last pregnancy and was told by aromatherapist that just to be safe stick to the 'fruit oils' mandarin is a great all rounder, but most shop bought toilettries that contain oils will say on the label if you shouldnt use them. hth

Fingerbobs Mon 01-Oct-07 17:40:14

My preg book says that you do need a qualified aromatherapist to tell you - for instance it says lavender is fine and I've been using it happily in baths all pregnancy; ditto tea-tree; but it also says some are completely out and some are ok after a certain stage (I seem to remember geranium is ok after 5 months, for some reason).
So sorry, not really much help am I? But maybe a qualified aromatherapist is on MN - surely there must be one...

lissiethevampireslayer Mon 01-Oct-07 17:43:12

there are lots of oils that should NEVER be used in pg, basil and clary sage are examples. essential oils are v powerful and many are uterine stimulants. lavender is your best bet but in v small doses. ask a qualified aromatherapist for a full list. i am doing a holistic therapies course that covers aromatherapy and its shocked me how powerful the oils actually are

Coolmama Mon 01-Oct-07 17:49:20

with my last pregnancy, I had a lovely masseuse and aromatherapist - she advised -
Avoid bay, basil, clary sage, comfrey, fennel, hyssop, juniper, marjoram, melissa, myrrh, rosemary, thyme and sage.
do not use in first 13 weeks of pregnancy.
Avoid lavender and camomile in the first 16 weeks if you have a history of miscarriage.
don't massae essential oils into your breasts when breastfeeding.

slim22 Tue 02-Oct-07 01:07:41

thanks everyone...so much conflicting info.....basically try and avoid most...

lissiethevampireslayer Tue 02-Oct-07 19:55:57

i asked my tutor today and she said to avoid all oils in the first 12w

spanna07 Tue 02-Oct-07 22:56:57

Is it safe to just put a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow at night? I have done this when I can't sleep and it helps- but could this be dangerous?

slim22 Wed 03-Oct-07 02:05:38

OK I found the answer.

Some plants and thus essential oils have "emmenagogue" properties. In plain english that is they help menstrual flow- - provoke contractions and can have abortive effect!
Most common ones on the list (even lavender and chamomille!)
Bottom line as a lot of you have said: Stay clear for 1st 12 weeks and them use as directed by aromatherapist.

I think inhalations is the only thing that is OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now