Talk

Advanced search

Second diabetes test - what would you do?

(3 Posts)
RobynNora Mon 27-Jul-20 15:00:00

Hello,

I've been called in for a second GTT test next week because my trust lost the results of my first test. My care, unfortunately, has been pretty rubbish throughout the pregnancy and they also repeatedly lost urine samples in my second trimester. Besides this, loads of other things have gone wrong in my care, and it sounds stupid, but I now get really, really stressed out just dealing with them.

I'm now wondering if it would be completely irresponsible of me just to not get retested and hope for the best...

I live in east London and felt really nervous about catching the train to the clinic last time. There wasn't much social distancing at the clinic with partners and kids at my last GTT test. It was unventilated, smelly and I felt nervous the entire three hours I was there as I've been shielding for the last few months for a congenital heart condition. So I'm wondering whether I can just skip the test and keep fingers crossed I don't have it.

I think the chances of me having diabetes are slim generally. My urine test was fine, my BMI is low and the only reason I was called in for a test was because my dad is of Middle Eastern heritage.

So I'm very tempted just to leave it and not go in for a second test.

I'm wondering if other people would think this is reasonable? Or if there's anything I can do to monitor myself? I've lost perspective a bit as I've been so stressed with various dealings with my trust.

Thanks for reading smile

OP’s posts: |
TenThousandSpoons0 Mon 27-Jul-20 19:38:28

That sounds so annoying for you.
Some places round the world have introduced different protocols for diabetes testing in order to avoid that prolonged wait that comes with the GTT. You could ask your midwife or GP whether they can send you for a fasting blood sugar and/or HbA1c (so just in and out of the lab). The GTT is the only test that’s absolutely diagnostic but I’d probably be questioning the need the same as you.

RobynNora Tue 28-Jul-20 11:24:03

@TenThousandSpoons0 I've done a bit of research and this seems like a good happy medium. Thanks so much for reading and suggesting this. Really appreciate it smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in