Talk

Advanced search

Side effects of clexane?

(4 Posts)
Malik90 Thu 23-Jul-20 22:41:02

Hey, I'm 13 weeks today and was advised that I should take clexane for the remainder of my pregnancy due to a previous pulmonary embolism 3 years ago.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but when I asked the midwife what the risk/side effects
to the baby was, she just kept saying there's a small risk as it crosses the placenta, and that as the injection is injected in the fatty tissue it's not really harmful, but she wouldn't elaborate on what the small side effects were.

Does anyone know of any side effects to the baby? Anyone give their experience of taking clexane throughout pregnancy, i'd be very grateful.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
1ce1cebaby Thu 23-Jul-20 22:45:26

Hi I took it throughout pregnancy. From around 13 weeks to 6 weeks after birth. I wasn’t advised of any side effects (though I didn’t actually ask). I think it’s pretty common and people have to take it for so many different reasons. I had no issues. I stopped injecting into my stomach as my bump got harder and bigger and switched to my thighs.

TwinkleStars15 Thu 23-Jul-20 22:50:33

I’ve been on it years. It doesn’t cross into the placenta, that’s why it’s safe during pregnancy. No side effects at all (other than hideous bruising at the injection site sometimes!)

TwinkleStars15 Thu 23-Jul-20 22:51:56

Also as @1ce1cebaby said, thighs/love handles are better than tummy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in