Talk

Advanced search

In need of a baby to observe in Chesterfield/Sheffield!

(1 Post)
ClaireLew22 Thu 23-Jul-20 19:25:08

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that here might be a good place for people to help me in my search for a baby to observe. As you can appreciate, current times are placing so many more restrictions on me being able to speak to families who are expecting babies. Please read below for further details. If you could pass word round to anyone who you know who may be willing or able to help it would be greatly appreciated!

I’m a current student at the Northern School of Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy (NSCAP). My course is Psychoanalytic Observational Studies which is verified by The School of Medicine at The University of Leeds. I’m in search of a family and their baby to help support my studies. Even if you cannot directly help then perhaps you would help by passing this information on to others.

As part of my course I am required to observe an infant within the family home for two years. The observation will take place for an hour at the same time, on the same day, once a week over this two-year period and is required to start as soon after the birth as the family feel comfortable with. The aim of the observation is to allow me to consider the development of a baby and their relationships with significant others from a psychoanalytic perspective. This process will also support my own development as a practitioner by allowing me to reflect on my own thoughts, feelings and actions.

The baby needs to have a due date between late September and the end of November and cannot be anyone I know. Ideally, I would like a family as close to home as possible for obvious reasons, so people Chesterfield based would be ideal.

This does seem like a huge ask, and I guess it is, but I feel that it’s an important role to play. By providing training opportunities for people on the course, parents are potentially helping many other children and families. The experience I hope may also be rewarding for the young family. Those who have participated in the past have reported back to NSCAP that they notice different things about their child, prompted by the particular interest of the observer.

The current world issues do indeed leave many aspects surrounding observations provisional at the moment. Safeguarding families would obviously be paramount during any decisions made for whether or not the observations will be conducted.

Please get in touch if you are interested or would like to know more. This applies even if you're unable to assist as I'm happy to share information on this with you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this rather lengthy message!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in