Talk

Advanced search

How do you know If you have GD?

(6 Posts)
Paranoidkaty Wed 22-Jul-20 18:36:22

I’m 35w pregnant and other than the odd urine stick with the midwife have never been tested for GD .. so how would it be detected?
Nhs info states you’re tested for it at 24-28 weeks is this correct?
I’ve been told my baby is big.. so seems weird it hasn’t been tested for?

Anyone got any advice?

OP’s posts: |
TinnedPearsForPudding Wed 22-Jul-20 18:38:26

Some areas are o my testing high risk women. Diabetes would result in glucose in your urine. Fly close in your urine on 2 separate occasions would trigger a formal GD test (at least that's the protocol where I am)

sel2223 Wed 22-Jul-20 18:39:17

You're only tested for it if you meet certain risk factors at your booking in appt (family history, high BMI, age etc). They don't test everyone as standard.

Whenever you get your urine dipped, they check for glucose in your urine as well which can be an indicator.

sittingonacornflake Thu 23-Jul-20 05:51:59

I got tested at about 20 weeks or something like that because my pre pregnancy bmi was over 35. I then get tested again at 38 weeks because baby was measuring big. I got diagnosed on the second test with gd.

RowboatsinDisguise Thu 23-Jul-20 06:50:53

It will depend on the trust’s policy but in my area a random blood glucose is done at booing and 28 weeks for women without GD risk factors. If either of those is high, a glucose tolerance test is offered. Women who have +glucose on two occasions or ++glucose on one occasion in their urine would also be recommended a GTT. In the last few weeks of pregnancy a GTT is not accurate so fingerprick testing is used.

Due to Covid, my trust is presently doing an HBA1C instead of a GTT as per national guidance although sadly it’s not as accurate. You may well have had a random glucose or an HBA1C with your 28 week bloods without realising.

DJBebe Sat 25-Jul-20 20:43:19

I am at risk for GD and they only did a HBA1C test which i understand is very unreliable.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in