Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Doulas -- Anyone had one?

(11 Posts)
tyaca Sat 29-Sep-07 08:59:02

Hi guys,

18 wks and thinking of employing a doula. it's my first

reasons two fold - firstly, it's my first and am worried about getting bamboozled by all the medical stuff at the end and having a CSection when perhaps not needed?? would like someone experienced on my sides

(NOT in anyway to undermine docs, MWs everywhere - am at St Georges which is meant to be v good, but all the same, it's sometimes NHS overtretched, and have heard a few horror stories)

secondly, really can't imagine my poor DH being there with me -- where's the dignity?? grin

have quite a big hippy streak, and like the idea of a doula. any experiences?? or reccomendations?

(i have done quite a bit of shiatsu training, and am particuarly keen to find out about doulas who may come from a shiatsu background)

cheers all

belgo Sat 29-Sep-07 09:01:32

good idea to have a doula. There are a couple of doulas on mumsnet - lulumama is one.

Keep this bumped for her to see it.

midnightexpress Sat 29-Sep-07 10:48:53

Hi, I didn't have a doula, but after my experience with birth of ds2 I would really recommend it, for all the reasons you have given. I had an emergency section with ds1 when only 3cms dilated so hadn't really had experience of later stages of labour. When ds2 came along, I went through to 10cms dilated and when I was in transition (I think, in retrospect) the registrar decided to give me another section and dp and I were not in much of a position to resist. Looking back, I'm pretty sure I could have got him out myself, and really wish I'd had someone fighting my corner and just calming things down.

In the end, once the baby is out and well and you're OK too, that's the main thing and it doesn't really matter, but I was quite upset about it at the time (and of course then had to recover from the cs with a newborn and a 14mo toddler).

hertsnessex Sat 29-Sep-07 18:49:41

There are a few on here who have had doulas, thomcat, newy, are the ones that spring to mind.

have you looked on doula.org.uk - i dont know of anyone personally with a shiatsu background, but if you take a look at some of the profiles in your are you may find someone.

Carly

jamila169 Sat 29-Sep-07 20:37:18

I had a doula for DS2 and DD, and it really does a lot for your confidence - Mine were VBAC's and through doula uk I managed to find someone who had done the same as me and was able to help me with the homeopathy and such. That sort of doula is worth every penny!

hertsnessex Sun 30-Sep-07 08:35:10

just heard of someone in londond that has done some shiatsu training, where abouts are you?

tyaca Sun 30-Sep-07 17:00:58

ty all - going to keep this bumped

hertsnessex, i'm in SW London, Streatham. fingers crossed that's near....

Cheers

MarsLady Sun 30-Sep-07 17:05:17

Doula UK. As herts said.. try looking there.

There are lots of stories of MNers who've used doulas and recommend them. You should find the person you want there(hopefully)

hertsnessex Mon 01-Oct-07 15:45:25

tyaca,

yes, she is in london - if you mail me carly@primalbirth.co.uk ill give you her details.

c

tyaca Mon 01-Oct-07 17:28:50

many thanks herts, have sent email

xc

hertsnessex Tue 02-Oct-07 08:54:17

have replied tyaca.

cx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now