Talk

Advanced search

Speaking to midwife about elective section

(3 Posts)
duckling3 Tue 14-Jul-20 19:19:44

I have my midwife appointment tomorrow and I've decided to ask her about a maternal request c section. (I know it can be a controversial decision, but I've done my research)

Its probably silly, but I feel really nervous about it. Like I need to prepare myself to be judged, or have to justify that my reasons are valid. My friend had the same midwife as me but two year ago, and whilst I dont know the midwife very well yet, she is apparently a tough cookie.

Not really sure if there a point to my post, other than to try and get some of the nerves off my chest by writing them down.

OP’s posts: |
sel2223 Tue 14-Jul-20 19:23:16

You will probably be asked to explain your reasons and 'justify them' a bit....and you'll also be asked what you know about sections and what the risks are etc.

Ultimately, it's your body, your choice but they will quiz you a bit to make sure it's the right decision. I don't know how far gone you are but they'll also keep 'checking' during your pregnancy and probably won't book a date or anything till much later on (36 weeks in my area)

Jellybean100 Tue 14-Jul-20 19:25:46

To be honest the midwife will probably refer you to a birth choices clinic or consultant so they can discuss your reasons and arrange. Honestly don’t feel nervous!
They’re obviously going to discuss the risks involved with c section because it’s major abdominal surgery so it’s their job and responsibility to do this but it’s in order for you to make a fully informed decision so make sure you take in all your info and stand your ground when that appointment comes round. But speaking to a midwife about it at your usual appointment tomorrow will not be a big deal so please don’t feel nervous!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in