Talk

Advanced search

Sore throat soothing whilst pregnant?

(14 Posts)
Lucyand2 Thu 27-Sep-07 15:08:46

Hiya,
I have an awful sore throat and I have no idea what I can do about it whilst pregnant. It's driving me mad, anything I can do to ease the pain?

Mung Thu 27-Sep-07 15:10:21

I always gargle with salt water (makes you want to puke, but does the trick)

preggersagain Thu 27-Sep-07 15:13:01

warm honey and lemon drink- very soothing grin

WheresMyWaistGone Thu 27-Sep-07 16:01:24

I am now 37+5 and had a throat infection when I was about 8 weeks I think. According to my Dr, Paracetamol are fine during pregnancy but NOT ibuprofen. Also, Strepsils fine.

Hope you feel better soon.

aikigypsy Thu 27-Sep-07 16:58:30

I've used hot tea of various kinds, zinc lozenges, and also those ricola drops, but it wasn't too too bad to begin with.

fruitful Thu 27-Sep-07 17:04:21

Suck garlic. grin

Has the added bonus of stopping people from touching your bump. And you get an entire carriage to yourself on the tube, not just one seat.

Lucyand2 Fri 28-Sep-07 09:16:01

Thankyou for all the suggestions! I'm going to look for some lemon tea or something like that when I get to the shop, then pop some honey in it.
I might skip the salt and garlic though!

hotcrossbunny Fri 28-Sep-07 09:39:54

Chocolate helpsgrin
really..There was some research that chocolate helped as much as lots of medicines. Oh, or was that for coughs? Hmm don't know, but it works for me!

emj23 Fri 28-Sep-07 11:25:04

Hot honey and lemon or Soothers sweets worked for me when I had a cold a couple of weeks ago.

missbumpy Fri 28-Sep-07 12:24:41

Hot honey and lemon...best when you make it yourself with freshly squeezed lemon juice rather than tea bags. That way you get lots of Vit C.

Drink lots (water, juice, herbal tea etc).

Wrap up warm.

Gargling with TCP is quite good but it is truly foul tasting.

It's true about the garlic as well. Apparently in Poland they put a clove of garlic on a teaspoon with some honey and then knock it back. Honey and garlic are both good natural antibiotics I think hmm.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Fri 28-Sep-07 12:40:09

Another vote for making your own honey & lemon, I use about a tablespoon of each in a teacup.

Fruit teas are also good - Twinings do a selection box that includes Lemon Burst, something & Grapefruit, passionfruit and orange. They're excellent.

slim22 Tue 02-Oct-07 01:58:17

another vote for hot lemon and honey. But I add fresh ginger & cloves (antiseptic)

Boil water with ginger & cloves then add lemon juice and honey.

Uki Tue 02-Oct-07 07:26:21

If the honey and lemon doesn't work.

Gargle with warm salty water, especially before bed. It clears up throat infections straight away.

Lucyand2 Thu 04-Oct-07 09:46:20

Thankyou for all the suggestions! My sore throat has gone now but my cold has come back so I may be gargling salty water yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now