Talk

Advanced search

Arnica during pregnancy (24 weeks)

(6 Posts)
DobbieFreeElf Fri 03-Jul-20 11:11:20

Hi all,

I had a bit of an accident and I’ve chipped my ankle bone as well as a few other bumps and bruises. Baby is fine (24 weeks pregnant) and A&E were fantastic. I’ve just popped a couple of arnica tablets not really thinking about whether they’re safe or not 🤦🏻‍♀️

There’s nothing on the tube about use in pregnancy, can’t find anything on the NHS site or on our local family authority app. Google answers range from ‘hell no’ to ‘arnica rules’ 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve text the midwife but I’m sure she’s probably busy and thought I’d ask if anyone here has asked before and knows either way?

Thanks 😊

OP’s posts: |
lockdownpregnancy Fri 03-Jul-20 11:23:36

Herbal remedies can be a big no no when pregnant, so always best to check.
I don't think the two you have taken will do any serious damage if you're not supposed to take them, but don't take anymore until you have checked.
Speak to your local pharmacist as well as they will let you know straight away about things like that.

sel2223 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:54:31

I'm no expert so can't give a professional opinion but I do know quite a lot of women who've started taking arnica a week or 2 before a planned c section to help speed up healing. They've had no issues and I've never heard of any risks associated with pregnancy.
It's worth speaking to your midwife to check before taking anymore though.

DobbieFreeElf Fri 03-Jul-20 13:38:16

Thanks @lockdownpregnancy & @sel2223 I haven’t heard back from the midwife, I’m not worried about the 2 I took this morning, baby is kicking away but I definitely will clarify it with someone before taking any more! I had previously asked a pharmacist at the very beginning of the pregnancy about arnica and he just read the bottle and said it doesn’t say not to 🤷🏻‍♀️ I decided I didn’t need it in that instance but this is a much worse injury!

EllieJai44 Fri 03-Jul-20 14:42:21

Could be worth asking GP if midwife doesn't get back to you!

DobbieFreeElf Mon 06-Jul-20 21:06:23

Just incase anyone finds this thread in the future my midwife finally replied with

“I don’t know to be honest re arnica. From what I can find out it‘a probably not best not to take the tablets but cream should be ok. Best bet would be to contact a homeopath.”

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in