Talk

Advanced search

My friend hates names i have picked!!!!

(53 Posts)
sarahmikeandharry Wed 26-Sep-07 17:30:49

Hi everyone,

We are 21+3 and soo exited, Have decided on George Elliott for a boy and Rosie Grace for a girl, (our surname is Monaghan- pronounced mon a han)

DS is 2+9 and is called Harry Michael.

One of my closest friends has said she hates them and we are should choose again, she has really hurt my feelings and wont even keep her opinion to herself even though i have asked her to drop it!!!Now i don't know if were going to make a mistake.

What do you think of our names?

Sorry to have a moan, feeling a bit emotional today

Thanks for reading!!!

CountessDracula Wed 26-Sep-07 17:31:31

They are lovely names and more to the point it's none of her business!

beansprout Wed 26-Sep-07 17:31:37

Lovely names that are none of her business!!

Bessie123 Wed 26-Sep-07 17:31:48

Oh, everyone always has an opinion about names you've chosen. Just ignore them

harleyd Wed 26-Sep-07 17:31:55

nothing to do with your friend. pick names you like

InMyHumbleOpinion Wed 26-Sep-07 17:32:10

It's a good job she isn't a family member then, or her opinion might matter!

You might like to tell her that...[wink

FioFio Wed 26-Sep-07 17:32:15

Message withdrawn

Dior Wed 26-Sep-07 17:32:23

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Wed 26-Sep-07 17:33:24

maybe she wants them for her own chidren

PandaG Wed 26-Sep-07 17:33:35

Not really your friend's call. Take no notice if you can, you must feel hurt though.

I like the names, my only comment is George Elliot is the name of an author, you may want to rethink this? Wouldn't bother me, but do know a friend called Jayne Eyre used to get the mickey taken a bit smile

sarahmikeandharry Wed 26-Sep-07 17:34:07

Thanks everyone,

i know i should just ignore her,

You have all made me feel so much better now !!!!

TBH what matters is that we are happy!!!!

NAB3 Wed 26-Sep-07 17:34:42

Good names. The boys is strong and the girl is just right.

NOTHING to do with your friend.

Does she often tell you what to do.........?

msappropriate Wed 26-Sep-07 17:35:18

I like the names but is George Elliott a deliberate referance to the writer?

I had a friend who was rude about me children's names. I just ignored her and never said i thought her kids had upper class twit names.

cece Wed 26-Sep-07 17:36:59

She is being rude and I think you should choose what you like regardless of what she thinks. They are all lovely names.

My BF told me she didn't like one of the names on my list. When DD was born that is the name she was given. BF got over it!

sarahmikeandharry Wed 26-Sep-07 17:38:04

George was my favorite and Elliott was DH so we had both,

so no we didn't pick it due to the author, we have also been told there is a hospital called the George Elliott in Nuneaton i think!!!!

We just really liked it and it stuck!!!lol

goingfor3 Wed 26-Sep-07 17:38:49

I don't like a close relatives childrens names but it's really none of my business, you have to call your children what you want to call them.

LowFat Wed 26-Sep-07 17:40:22

Your names are lovely smile and very much your decision.

Tell your friend to keep her opinons to herself angry

This is precisley why we did'nt tell anyone the name we chose for DD(4yr). That way it's not a baby named XX but it was Madison from the minute she arrived, and they never had chance to know her as anything else or voice an opinion on the name.

DS name we told to our closest friends and they made a couple of comments, but in fun way and everyone esle found out he was Dylan when he was born.

Stick to your choices - they really are lovely

XX LF

msappropriate Wed 26-Sep-07 17:41:51

it justs its a female author but any bullying because of that would have to be done by literary types and they would most likely be a bit weedy
images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-29,GGLG:en&q=george%20elio t&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

mytwopenceworth Wed 26-Sep-07 17:41:59

They are beautiful names, simple and classic.

Bugger your 'friend'

Don't doubt yourself.

And even if she does hate the names, her opinion is worth jack shit.

nospeak Wed 26-Sep-07 17:43:13

Your names are lovely and very unoffensive, I can't see how anyone could hate them even if they were not their cup of tea. Sounds like your friend has issues and is jealous, avoid her as much as possible, you don't need people who make you feel down when you are pregnant.

nospeak Wed 26-Sep-07 17:45:13

Inoffensive (I think!) blush

Bundle Wed 26-Sep-07 17:46:11

how rude

people should just mind their own business

lemonaid Wed 26-Sep-07 17:46:55

Unless you've picked the names for her children, I don't see what business it is of hers. And they are perfectly reasonable and attractive names, too -- personally I would shy away from the "George Eliot" association, but it's not terrible by any means.

We don't tell anyone our potential names, either.

LilyLoo Wed 26-Sep-07 17:47:05

My ds Harry and would have loved to have a George this time but can't as nephews name. Love Rosie too we have Lily Grace.
Ignore her it's your choice not hers !

sarahmikeandharry Wed 26-Sep-07 17:47:43

Thanks everyone,

You have made me determind to rise above and ignore any further comments,

i love our choices,

DS tells everyone mummy's baby is called Rosie and is in my tummy growing, !!!! So i can't, i mean won't change it !!!!lol
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now