Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

terrible constipation - help

(16 Posts)
janx Tue 25-Sep-07 22:25:37

oh the joys of pregnancy. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat - am eating tons of veg, fibre and drinking lots of water and still suffering. Anyone recommend anything else?

bakingabun Tue 25-Sep-07 22:27:45

Lactulose if really bad but it may take a few days to work, last time I was really suffering 5 satsumas did the trick, lol.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 25-Sep-07 22:29:16

lots of fruit juice.

chilli......wink

moocowme Tue 25-Sep-07 22:44:52

licorice is good. also bananas or kiwi fruit. keep drinking loads of water.

EmsMum Tue 25-Sep-07 23:09:19

All-bran and banana + juice for breakfast.
Every day.

Popi70 Tue 25-Sep-07 23:16:29

Disgusting as it may sound try drinking some olive oil or have have a nice salad with lots of olive oil.

oopsa Wed 26-Sep-07 09:54:19

I recently discovered that not all hi-fibre things are equal... All-bran has 27g of fibre, which is loads more than eg Fruit and fibre which has 15g. So you can get a huge fibre intake every morning with that, having water at the same time makes it even more effective. Also avoiding processed flour - white bread, pastries, pasta - helps for me.

saskia71 Wed 26-Sep-07 12:42:16

Hi,

I don't know if you are taking Gaviscon or Maalox for heartburn, but some people suffer from constipation as a side-effect of this. (I spoke to a midwife).

See point 9 in
http://www.nurseonline.nhs.uk/masterwebsite1asp/targetpages/drugs/antacids.asp

PandaG Wed 26-Sep-07 12:43:27

prune juice. tastes pretty vile but does the trick. Is also high in iron too so good on 2 counts. smile

BetsyBoop Wed 26-Sep-07 12:50:25

I have a handful of dried apricots after every meal & it works a treat for me - also high in iron, which is good too

Fingerbobs Wed 26-Sep-07 15:34:13

Me too. I've taken these in desperation - Senokot Hi-Fibre Orange (they're NOT the senokot laxatives; you can't take those in pregnancy - it's isphagula or something like that husk):

www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/s/senokot/senokot_hi_fibre_orange.htm

It tastes vile, like cardboard shreds in cheap, out of date orange squash, but it does seem to do to the trick. I take one for a couple of nights in a row, every two or three weeks, when things seem to be more than usually slow, IFKWIM (and I think you do).

midnightexpress Wed 26-Sep-07 16:07:58

Sprinkle a couple of spoonfuls of linseeds on your breakfast cereal. It worked for me through both pgs and six weeks of iron tablets after ds2 was born. They're also terribly good for you.

janx Thu 27-Sep-07 19:18:40

Thamks everyone - went shopping today and got bran, prune juice, apricots and linseeds - if they don't do the trick I don't think anything will!

pussycatmomma Thu 27-Sep-07 20:28:57

just wanted to add i was suffering terribly with constipation this time last week - after midwifes advice and bran flakes and linseeds for breakfast coupled with half a bag of dried apricots every day I am now pooing like a trooper!!
Hurray!!!! felt like i was about 12 months pregnant not nearly 6!!
Good luck! wink

smallwhitecat Thu 27-Sep-07 20:31:02

Message withdrawn

Boco Thu 27-Sep-07 20:32:30

nux vomica. I'm not really a great believer in homeopathy, but took this in pregnancy and it was amazing - it really actually did totally work - you can get it in boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now