Talk

Advanced search

How long does the cramping after a scan last?

(5 Posts)
MinesALatte Sat 27-Jun-20 06:08:17

I had a private scan yesterday, tummy then TV. i was measuring 7+4 and since about two hours after the scan I’ve had on and off cramping with different rates of pain, some mild, some have woken me up and made me wince. Just wondering how long this will go on for, it sort of feels like trapped wind sometimes

OP’s posts: |
sel2223 Sat 27-Jun-20 06:15:09

I've not had cramping after scans myself but I guess the firm pressing on your abdomen can jiggle everything around a bit.
For trapped wind, I drink peppermint tea and I found some specific pregnancy/wind relieving yoga poses on Google which seem to help.

MinesALatte Sat 27-Jun-20 08:54:53

Thank you @sel2223, I’ve seen your name on lots of posts including some of mine and you’re always so helpful and lovely!

I don’t want to speak too soon but the cramping seems to have eased up a bit, hopefully it’s just a 12-hour thing

OP’s posts: |
crazychemist Sat 27-Jun-20 10:45:17

I always get cramping after scans - I did with my DD (perfectly healthy 3yo now) and with my current pregnancy I’m having a LOT of scans (twins sharing a placenta so I have a scan taking up to an hour every fortnight...). I mentioned this to the sonographer once and they said it was perfectly normal and not to worry about unless it persisted or started to get stronger. I normally find it goes after about 12 hours or so, I certainly don’t remember getting it the next day. If you have any bleeding with red blood, Or if it starts getting stronger, phone the hospital, but otherwise it sounds normal to me.

Katbaby Sat 27-Jun-20 11:00:31

I didn't cramp after my 8 week scan but they decided pretty quick after trying abdominal that they needed to do TV so maybe didn't press on belly long enough. I did however have some cramping after my 12 week scan which was purely abdominal which was really uncomfortable but soon went off after a few hours.

Try not to worry OP ☺️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in