Talk

Advanced search

Taking Sertraline in the Third Trimester- Any advice?

(6 Posts)
squashie34 Thu 25-Jun-20 14:42:04

Hello,

Just looking for some advice from mummies who have been there/done that.

I'm 34 weeks and have been struggling with my anxiety/intrusive thoughts most of my pregnancy after stopping my sertraline as soon as I found out I was pregnant. However with lockdown and as the pregnancy has progressed it has got to a stage where the worry is consuming me and I'm worried about how I will get through labour/postnatally.

I had my first session with an IAPT counsellor yesterday and spoke to the GP today who recommended going back on to the sertraline at 50mg, but I know from reading that taking these in the third trimester can cause withdrawals in babies that can affect their breathing etc. I don't want to do anything to harm my baby after getting so far ☹️

Can anyone give me their stories if you had a baby whilst on sertraline? Should I just try to hold off?

OP’s posts: |
squashie34 Thu 25-Jun-20 19:37:01

Just bumping incase anyone can offer some advice x

UrsulaSings Thu 25-Jun-20 19:52:09

Hi, I dont have personal experience of sertraline in pregnancy, but I have been under the perinatal mental health team who did recommend that I take medication. They said that it's about weighing up the risks and benefits. If you're able to breastfeed when baby is born that should mitigate the effects of withdrawal. If your baby has a tiny amount of withdrawal, that isnt going to effect them as much in the long term as having a mum who is struggling to cope and respond to their needs. In that sense it's actually better to have the medication in the long term because the benefits can outweigh the risk. It's entirely up to you at the end of the day. My friend was prescribed sertraline in pregnancy and her baby is absolutely ok.

squashie34 Thu 25-Jun-20 21:28:02

@UrsulaSings thanks so much for your reply, that's a real help. It's just knowing whether I'm making the right decision as my intrusive thoughts by their very nature are telling me 'if you wake something then you will harm the baby' - its a never ending circle ☹️

Lockdownbordem Thu 25-Jun-20 21:39:29

Hi op, I took sertraline right through my pregnancy. I don't think I could have got through the pregnancy going cold turkey. I'm on a higher dose and to be honest none of the midwives/consultants/mh team even suggested I came off it.

In terms of 'withdrawal' my ds had some shudders. Hard to discribe; he would move his arms side to side. A bit like Wallace from the films. But that was it; it died down significantly in the first 2 or 3 days and was totally gone by 2 weeks.

You know best how you feel, but intrusive thoughts can be very difficult.

annemarie2 Fri 26-Jun-20 23:04:14

I'm 32w and just started my sertraline again after stopping at the start like yourself. I was anxious and agitated/irratible not coping well with lockdown with 2kids stuck in the house. It's only been a few weeks but I feel better. The first doctor refused to prescribe me it stating the withdrawal effects etc. I thought about it and had a bad few days before ringing midwives and iapt online people.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in