Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Are thrush and gestational diabetes linked?

(7 Posts)
PeckaRolloverAgain Tue 25-Sep-07 17:25:56

I keep worrying about GD - not sure why, maybe because I keep finding myself reaching into the biscuit tin/sweet box and also because my Dad is type 2 diabetic.

Anyway, I keep getting recurring thrush and wondering if this could indicate that I am developing GD?

I really hope not?

Is there anything I can do to avoid developing it?

I am 27 weeks.

dinny Tue 25-Sep-07 17:26:56

Yes, Pecka, thrush is a sign of GD.

diet can control it - you need Hunker to see this, she had it last pg.

PeckaRolloverAgain Tue 25-Sep-07 17:31:02

I dont know why but I REALLY dont want to have it!!

Have just read some horrifying stuff about stillbirth, prone to obesity in later life etc

Hunker - helllllllllllllllp!

missbumpy Tue 25-Sep-07 17:40:30

Don't worry Pecka, I was like you really worried about GD because dad's diabetic and I've got a v sweet tooth. I managed to convince myself that every pregnancy symptom was a sign of GD. When I had my GD test it all came back clear so apparently no reason to worry.

Thrush is linked to GD (and diabetes in general) but it's also just a common complaint in preggers and non-preggers women. Not necessarily cause for concern. Just eat as well as you can, try to keep active, and try not to worry about it until you've had a blood test which tells you otherwise!

Does your midwife know that your dad's diabetic? They might want to do a glucose tolerance test on you to make sure.

PeckaRolloverAgain Tue 25-Sep-07 18:20:16

Thanks missbumpy - when you say keep active is that like proper exercise (gym etc>) as Im doing zero of that but i do have 2 kids and childmind and doula too so im always up and about but not necessarily doing star jumps!

missbumpy Tue 25-Sep-07 19:01:36

I'm no expert Pecka but I reckon just keeping busy is good enough. That's what I tell myself anyway wink. I haven't been going to the gym or anything but I've been trying to walk as much as possible and just generally keep up the amount of normal activity that I did pre-pregnancy rather than give in to the temptation to just lounge around on the sofa all day eating ice cream

goingfor3 Tue 25-Sep-07 19:06:23

I had thrush all the way through my pregnancy with DD1, it was a nightmare and only really got better after I had her as it kept reoccuring after threatment. I didn't have GD.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: