Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are thrush and gestational diabetes linked?

(7 Posts)
PeckaRolloverAgain Tue 25-Sep-07 17:25:56

I keep worrying about GD - not sure why, maybe because I keep finding myself reaching into the biscuit tin/sweet box and also because my Dad is type 2 diabetic.

Anyway, I keep getting recurring thrush and wondering if this could indicate that I am developing GD?

I really hope not?

Is there anything I can do to avoid developing it?

I am 27 weeks.

dinny Tue 25-Sep-07 17:26:56

Yes, Pecka, thrush is a sign of GD.

diet can control it - you need Hunker to see this, she had it last pg.

PeckaRolloverAgain Tue 25-Sep-07 17:31:02

I dont know why but I REALLY dont want to have it!!

Have just read some horrifying stuff about stillbirth, prone to obesity in later life etc

Hunker - helllllllllllllllp!

missbumpy Tue 25-Sep-07 17:40:30

Don't worry Pecka, I was like you really worried about GD because dad's diabetic and I've got a v sweet tooth. I managed to convince myself that every pregnancy symptom was a sign of GD. When I had my GD test it all came back clear so apparently no reason to worry.

Thrush is linked to GD (and diabetes in general) but it's also just a common complaint in preggers and non-preggers women. Not necessarily cause for concern. Just eat as well as you can, try to keep active, and try not to worry about it until you've had a blood test which tells you otherwise!

Does your midwife know that your dad's diabetic? They might want to do a glucose tolerance test on you to make sure.

PeckaRolloverAgain Tue 25-Sep-07 18:20:16

Thanks missbumpy - when you say keep active is that like proper exercise (gym etc>) as Im doing zero of that but i do have 2 kids and childmind and doula too so im always up and about but not necessarily doing star jumps!

missbumpy Tue 25-Sep-07 19:01:36

I'm no expert Pecka but I reckon just keeping busy is good enough. That's what I tell myself anyway wink. I haven't been going to the gym or anything but I've been trying to walk as much as possible and just generally keep up the amount of normal activity that I did pre-pregnancy rather than give in to the temptation to just lounge around on the sofa all day eating ice cream

goingfor3 Tue 25-Sep-07 19:06:23

I had thrush all the way through my pregnancy with DD1, it was a nightmare and only really got better after I had her as it kept reoccuring after threatment. I didn't have GD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now