Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with an active job, when do you plan on going on mat leave

(14 Posts)
AutumnBabyWinterMummy Tue 23-Jun-20 19:43:32

Hi all

I'm a nanny looking after 3 kids (1 is a baby) and it's a really active job. I need to decide when I plan on going on mat leave but because this is my first baby I really don't know how I'll be feeling energy wise towards the end. What are you all planning on doing and can you tell me what sort of job you do?

Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
irishprincess Tue 23-Jun-20 20:11:54

With my first I planned to work to 38 weeks in a very sedentary office job, baby was born at 37+4! Now 27 weeks pregnant and working from home with a 15 month old and I'm already tired. I will probably go at 35 weeks but I'm taking a full year.

It also depends what your maternity pay is like and how long you intend to take

BeHappyAndSmile Tue 23-Jun-20 20:18:59

I'm on my feet 8 hours a day at work lifting heavy stuff etc, not planning on stopping until I go into labour haha. That's probably first time optimism though 😂

NannyGR Tue 23-Jun-20 20:33:22

Hi also a nanny here!! With my first I worked 60hrs a week up until I was 38 weeks.... although the girls were 2, 2 and 6 so not as young as baby!
This time round I'm due my 2nd on 20th jan and I plan to finish at xmas, think it will finish up nicely and give me a nice few weeks with my son (who's 2) before new one comes along. Good luck with everything x

AutumnBabyWinterMummy Tue 23-Jun-20 20:38:04

@irishprincess my mat pay is all statutory so pretty rubbish really. Don't know how long we can afford for me to be off work so I need to leave it as late as possible without being unable to work really!!

AutumnBabyWinterMummy Tue 23-Jun-20 20:39:05

@BeHappyAndSmile oh really well good for you! I feel bad now that I'm already exhausted!! How many weeks are you? I'm 24

AutumnBabyWinterMummy Tue 23-Jun-20 20:40:39

@NannyGR oh I honestly don't know how you managed so long!! The baby I look after is 18 months so more of a toddler. But that's good to know you managed

Wewearpinkonwednesdays Tue 23-Jun-20 20:41:23

I'm a childminder OP and I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant. I sometimes have 3 under 3's in my care. I'm really hoping to be able to work right up until I would usually take my Christmas holidays, which will be 6 weeks before my due date. This is my third though so not sure how capable I will be. I could have physically done it with my last 2 pregnancies, although I've been extremely sick with both of them all the way through, and I'm getting that again this time which is really depressing and tiring so hoping that passes this time but I doubt it.

CountryGirl36 Tue 23-Jun-20 20:44:33

Hiya! I’m an osteopath and i’m finishing next week at 34 weeks. I wanted to go further but absolutely shattered and my pelvis is shot from moving patients! I’m gutted as v active usually (been horse riding until a month ago) but having to work in ppe, heat and tiredness (first baby) means early bath for me!

BeHappyAndSmile Tue 23-Jun-20 20:46:21

@AutumnBabyWinterMummy I'm almost 24 weeks too. And permanently exhausted too. So I'm almost certain my plan is way too optimistic 😂 but I'm the same as you with mat pay so want to get the most time at home with baby.

AutumnBabyWinterMummy Tue 23-Jun-20 21:05:12

@Wewearpinkonwednesdays oh sorry to hear about your sickness hope it eases for you

@CountryGirl36 oh that does sound hard especially the ppe and the heat

Thanks everyone! I need to let boss know soon what I plan and was just really stuck!

Scotinportugal Tue 23-Jun-20 21:12:16

Hello ladies, I'm currently 16 weeks and shattered 😂 I work in a busy restaurant in the Algarve and had planned and told everyone I'd be working until 2 weeks before due date, definitely first time optimism I think! Between the swollen feet, permanent exhaustion and generally feeling rubbish think I'll be taking it back and be shocked if I make it to about 32 weeks to be honest!
Guess all we can do is see how we feel!

Scotinportugal Tue 23-Jun-20 21:14:13

Also nannyGR i take my hat off to you for managing til 38 weeks 😱 I don't understand how anyone can do it the way I'm feeling lol xx

Freshair85 Tue 23-Jun-20 21:59:48

I don't have an active job and fully WFH I am working til 37 weeks but I'm already so exhausted I could finish now at 33 weeks!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in