Talk

Advanced search

food cooked in wine/alcohol?

(7 Posts)
KMaurice Tue 25-Sep-07 13:50:11

So I've given up any alcoholic drinks but where does one draw the line when it comes to eating dishes cooked with wine or other alcoholic drinks? I always thought the alcohol burnt off/evaporated so I am guesing it can't be that bad???

Dior Tue 25-Sep-07 13:52:03

Message withdrawn

PregnantGrrrl Tue 25-Sep-07 13:52:27

The alcohol is burned off by heating, leaving only the flavour. It's fine to eat.

sweetbean Tue 25-Sep-07 13:57:08

yes but can we still eat tiramisu........
I do blush im not sure if it naughty or not but is bloody nice blush grin

ClaphamLauren Tue 25-Sep-07 14:08:07

I heard somewhere that 90% of the toxins in alcohol don't even reach the placenta as it is all processed by the liver before it hits the baby.

I haven't bothered avoiding wine based sauces!

missbumpy Tue 25-Sep-07 16:04:23

I'm no doctor but I think it's fine. Firstly, as you say, if the sauce is cooked then all the alcohol will have evaporated off. Secondly, even if it's not cooked, most guidelines seem to say that alcohol should be limited in pregnancy, not cut out altogether. The amount of alcohol going into your blood stream from a bit of tiramisu isn't going to be worth worrying about IMO. Put it this way, have you ever got p*ssed from eating tiramisu or a wine based sauce grin?!

rascal1979 Tue 25-Sep-07 18:13:44

I have read that somewhere a list of how long you have to cook something before the alchol is completely evaporated. Basically the longer you cook the more likely it is to have reduced in potency -so red wine casserole sauce would be very low alchol but flambed strawberries (yummmmmm) would be high.

Sure tho that there is little to worry about.

Re Tiramisu I was tempted to have this at weekend but completely forgot about the alchol content (oops) was more worried about the fact that egg yolk is used.....sure it would have been safe but that over anxious baby brain I have developed went into overdrive - that and the fact that the alternative was chocolate sponge with gooey choc sauce wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now