Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is 24wks too late to request a home birth??

(10 Posts)
iloveknitting Tue 25-Sep-07 11:08:01

im due to see my MW for my 24wk check up soon and i am going to ask to change from a hospital birth to a home birth.

is it too late to arrange one or can you request it whenever you like?

FCH Tue 25-Sep-07 11:11:57

No it's definitely not too late. I am 35 weeks and can't even officially book for a home birth until 37 weeks as they won't deliver premies at home anyway. Despite this I have discussed this with my midwife at all my appointments and she is happy with the plan.

By the way - as I understand it the only time it is too late to decide you want your baby at home is if you are already at the hospital as any time before that they are obliged to send you medical help wherever you are.

Good luck and make sure you read as much as possible before you talk to your midwife, the more informed you are the better!

PregnantGrrrl Tue 25-Sep-07 11:40:17

you'll be fine- it gives them plenty of time to assess your home.

Loopymumsy Tue 25-Sep-07 13:43:31

Message withdrawn

derah Tue 25-Sep-07 15:48:14

Like FCH said, it's never too late, all you have to do is not go to hospital and ask them to send someone over! I'd really recommend www.homebirth.org.uk/ as the advice on there is very good and you'll learn all you need to counteract any arguments from your mw. I've been getting the daily digest of the homebirth forum on that website and the women who post there are all so empowered and well-informed, it's quite inspiring. I pity the mw who tries to argue with me about homebirth after being on that website for a while!

Good luck!

fingerwoman Tue 25-Sep-07 15:49:00

no you'll be fine. I am just going through the process of doing mine and I am 36 weeks.

spugs Tue 25-Sep-07 16:28:09

my mw has made a note of it in my notes and told mee to decide at about 36 weeks.

Nanoon Tue 25-Sep-07 20:42:33

I don't think its a roblem. I am currently 29wks and have opted for my local 4 bed comminuty maternity unit as frst choice as i did with DS. I spoke to my MW last week as for my second choce i would go for a home birth rather than the large maternity unit at our local general hospital. MW said that was totlally fine and i need no decide until the very last minute.
hth

WideWebWitch Tue 25-Sep-07 20:43:22

no, you can tell them you want one at any stage

newlifenewname Tue 25-Sep-07 20:44:36

Yes, even on the day you go into labour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now