Talk

Advanced search

Anaemic and can't breathe

(8 Posts)
blue122 Fri 12-Jun-20 12:42:22

Hi everyone,
I posted the other day regarding anaemia and went to get tested and it turned out I am anaemic, I'm now on iron tablets. I'm just wondering to what extend shortness of breath is normal from people that have experienced or know about it?

I've been short of breath for a couple of weeks but over the last few days has intensified a lot. Last night I woke up at about midnight for a couple of hours because I was so short of breath. Woke up okay this morning, then over the last 30 mins I am extremely short of breath again but I'm not doing anything to cause this! I feel like I'm taking big gasps and can't fill my lungs up.

Is this normal for anaemia? Is there another cause? Is it the baby squashing my lungs? I'm 33+2.

I'm not an anxious person but this is making me feel so nervous ☹️

OP’s posts: |
Abbccc Fri 12-Jun-20 12:52:20

Give your midwife a call today.

Mammyofasuperbaby Fri 12-Jun-20 12:57:00

I am currently waiting in a and e with this exact problem. I went to get a b12 injection and nearly fainted at the top of my street and was taken to hospital.
I need to wait to see the exact issue but I recommend you call 111 immediately as it needs checking over asap but pregnancy assessment units won't admit you due to breathing issues

UrsulaSings Fri 12-Jun-20 15:05:43

I would second speaking to 111. Shortness of breath is a symptom of coronavirus, and if its got worse and is out of your usual experience, perhaps it would be worth getting tested for this.

blue122 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:25:21

Thank you for your responses 😊 if I have another episode of it getting really bad I'll deffo call 111.

@UrsulaSings I doubt it's Coronavirus as I've had my temperature taken quite a few times recently once being 2 days ago and it's always about 36.4 but will keep an eye 😊

blue122 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:26:10

@Mammyofasuperbaby I hope you are okay! Let me know the outcome 😊

Redannie118 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:29:27

I was very anaemic early on in the year- not pregnant- and i would get breathless doung very little, ie walking to the kitchen from the living room. It never woke me up though- that sounds very worrying. What colour are your lips? Are they very pale? You may need an iron infusion- it can take 2 months for the tablets to work. Either way, please dont wait and phone 111.

Mammyofasuperbaby Sat 13-Jun-20 09:46:41

I was in a and e for 8 hours (lab issues -don't get me started). So it was my aneamia playing up. Basically I was agitated before leafing the house due to my son taking to long to get ready and my body couldn't keep up with my energy and o2 requirements so I fainted. I'm fine now, I just have to rest.
Although I'm annoyed at my gp as my b12 was so low when diagnosed that I should have been sent straight to hospital for an infusion but instead had to wait nearly 2 weeks to start injections (which are working). I'd still recommend getting checked out as the hospital were very concerned about me

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in