Talk

Advanced search

Possible Pregnancy?

(7 Posts)
AmberPalmer45255 Fri 12-Jun-20 12:37:47

Hey all! Thank you for coming to my post. I joined just to talk / ask about this because I don’t really have anyone else outside of the nurses and whatnot.

Here goes…..

So I have PCOS, take BC, and I’m obese (I won’t chalk it all up to the condition as I know I also have very bad habits). I had a few light periods and then nothing. I took two tests at home and they both shot back positive. I then went to the doctor and they did both urine and blood work (which I assume is normal, but I’ve never been in this situation before). They said I appear to be or have been pregnant recently. I guess if it were to fail early on it could still show in my system (the hormones) and there’s also the aspect of the PCOS messing with my levels supposedly. They set me up with an ultra sound next week and they’re waiting until then to call it with any certainty.

Having never been in this situation what are the odds of this panning out? I know I’m not healthy overall. My weight….the light periods then no period…..the birth control (which I maintain I was a saint at taking)….the PCOS……realistically what are the odds of me having a baby on that monitor as oppose to finding out I either DID and lost it or the hormone levels were just whack?

Thank you for any and all input from those who can help shed some light here.

OP’s posts: |
Grumpy19 Fri 12-Jun-20 13:48:47

Did they explain why they said 'appear to have recently been pregnant '
If you have pregnancy hormones then you could be pregnant!
I have PCOS, (I have also gone a full yr without a period and my weight has fluctuated hugely!) and when I found out I was expecting DC1 I refused to believe it and got the drs to double check.
I am now expecting DC4!!

One thing I would add though, is that I have always fallen pregnant when I've lost weight.

Fingers crossed for you.

AmberPalmer45255 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:40:53

They said appear to be or perhaps recently because if you implant but still miscarry (or even just our condition alone) you may still test positive for some time. So now we wait till the ultrasound I suppose

AmberPalmer45255 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:43:18

Grumpy19

Did they explain why they said 'appear to have recently been pregnant '
If you have pregnancy hormones then you could be pregnant!
I have PCOS, (I have also gone a full yr without a period and my weight has fluctuated hugely!) and when I found out I was expecting DC1 I refused to believe it and got the drs to double check.
I am now expecting DC4!!

One thing I would add though, is that I have always fallen pregnant when I've lost weight.

Fingers crossed for you.

They said appear to be or perhaps recently because if you implant but still miscarry (or even just our condition alone) you may still test positive for some time. So now we wait till the ultrasound I suppose

RestorationInsanity Fri 12-Jun-20 14:52:00

I haven't been in your position but hormonal issues related to PCOS cannot give you a positive pregnancy test, the hormone tested for is specific to pregnancy (and a few rare conditions/medications). In fact in the early stages of pregnancy you're more likely to have a false negative if you have PCOS. Positive pregnancy tests are extremely rare so I would say you either were or are pregnant. I very much hope it's the latter. Best of luck with the scan.

Grumpy19 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:49:13

I know when I got my first positive I read on the test that PCOS could cause a false positive and I was so frightened of getting over excited that I asked the dr to double check with a test. He did, but at the time he said he was only doing it to alleviate my concerns and that the likelihood of PCOS causing a false positive was incredibly small compared to the likelihood of actually being pregnant. That is why I am surprised they phrased it like that for you.

Grumpy19 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:51:15

Have you been bleeding since your positive yest?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in