Talk

Advanced search

Iron transfusion

(5 Posts)
Sally7645 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:47:02

I'm 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and have been on iron for a few weeks as anaemic.

I suffer badly with morning sickness, this time around it went at 20 weeks but delightfully has now returned, albeit not quite so badly. I'm finding the iron supps intolerable, was sick in the street today within an hour of taking them. I've asked for a different prescription, as currently on F Sulfate, being swapped to F Gluconate instead.

Have also been offered an iron transfusion instead, and wondering if anyone has any experiences they could share?

If you had a transfusion did it make you sick etc, any side effects? Wondering if it's worth just having that and not suffering! Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
dm1818 Mon 15-Jun-20 19:20:34

I've had anaemia since before becoming pregnant and was offered an iron transfusion. However, they decided that it wasn't worth risking for me because one of the side effects is that it can cause/worsen problems with your skin as you might not have a good reaction to it. I think they even keep you in for a little while like 30-45 minutes after it's done to check you haven't had a reaction. I'm sure your doctor would be able to further discuss side effects if you asked x

lc86 Mon 15-Jun-20 19:47:30

I had an iron infusion on my last pregnancy and it was fine, and I actually had energy after it!! I'd recommend as I hated taking the tablets each day and they seemed to affect my stomach. I didn't have any negative side effects really off the infusion xx

Mummyme87 Mon 15-Jun-20 19:59:41

I had an iron infusion in pregnancy and was great. Quick process and felt it fairly quickly. Would do it again

Sally7645 Tue 16-Jun-20 15:24:47

Thanks for the answers, good to know. I've just swapped on to new iron tabs and my Hb has now gone up a bit, but good to know if I don't get on with these ones that a transfusion is a good option too. Thanks all smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in