Talk

Advanced search

Babies and cats

(12 Posts)
Oldestchild90s Thu 11-Jun-20 12:08:22

Does anyone have recommendations what to do? I'm absolutely terrified my cats will climb all over the cot and moses basket when she's born! I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a net or cover they could possibly recommend.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
pinguwings Thu 11-Jun-20 12:11:25

Midwife suggested putting tinfoil around the top edge of the Moses basket. Cats hate the feel and sound of it apparently.

In reality, our cats have never slept with the baby, too much risk of getting noisily awoken! When you're baby is tiny you will almost always be in the same room as them when they're sleeping, you won't need to worry.

Megan2018 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:12:32

I had 3 cats when my baby was born, now have 2.
They sleep on all the baby’s things, bedside crib, cot, pram, playmat. Doesn’t do a baby any harm. My HV is very approving of exposure to animals.

My cats are shut out of the bedroom when baby sleeping and otherwise supervised around her. But I don’t care about them sleeping on things.

pinkmummy1 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:22:16

I had a cat first before I had babies. I put out the moses basket and the cot a month before the baby was due. I would tell her off everytime she went in them. She soon learned not to sleep there and I've never had a problem since.

newmum0720 Thu 11-Jun-20 13:31:17

I've been wondering the same. I have 2 cats that now think babies room and all of her things are theirs! Baby is due in 6 weeks and I'm concerned about them jumping on her etc. Also can't keep them out of our bedroom when we're asleep because they just scratch at the door non stop which will wake us all up!

Maincat Thu 11-Jun-20 13:35:28

As soon as the baby arrived and cried my two cats kept their distance! We shut the bedroom door at night and in the day baby wasn't left unattended, but the cats had no interest in him anyway, they just kept away.

Hatscats Thu 11-Jun-20 13:41:11

I expect mine will keep their distance, but I’ll be in the room with baby until at least 6 months so will probably just cover cribs etc with a blanket to avoid too much cat hair when not being used by baby.

ivfgottostaypositive Thu 11-Jun-20 13:49:52

I had 4 when DD was born. 3 out of the 4 weren't interested in her and avoided her for about 3 years. 1 is a lot More curious but we always kept doors closed at night and during day in Moses basket the cats were mostly out or we kept close watch. I remember one jumping up once to the Moses basket but we had a sturdy stand and no harm was done

LexiM Thu 11-Jun-20 15:53:55

My cat is all over everything we have purchased for the baby, I wouldn’t mind him exploring it but he wants to scratch the sides of the bedside crib which is driving me mad. Generally I let him look at things etc. but we will shut him out when baby is in there.

I think he will run a mile when the baby comes home and cries!

Windyatthebeach Thu 11-Jun-20 15:56:23

My 2 dcats kept away from ds until he was of walking age!!
grin

Vgrl1718 Thu 11-Jun-20 15:59:36

I'm 5.5 weeks pregnant I will be 6 weeks Saturday but wiped yesterday after work and was brown spotting. Is that normal? I didn't have that with my first and kind of freaking out

crazychemist Thu 11-Jun-20 16:40:49

Keep the cat shut out if the baby is sleeping unsupervised, otherwise you'll worry!

My cat usually kept as far away from DD as possible when she was a baby, if she started crying he'd panic and run straight out into the garden! But he'd "guard" her when she was sleeping in her pram in the garden - he'd lie down in front and if I/anyone approached he'd sit up and look threatening. I think he didn't want anyone to wake her up in case the crying started again wink

You have to keep a much closer eye around 6 months. My cat didn't see DD as competition/threat when she was tiny and immobile, but he hated her when she was about 6 months old. She has a scar on her nose (small, but permanent) where he really went for her after she bit his tail..... (obviously I would have intervened before she did this if I had any idea she was about to do it. She was stroking him very nicely under supervision, then suddenly stuff his tail in her mouth with no warning)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in