Talk

Advanced search

Moses Basket

(14 Posts)
Stefka Sat 22-Sep-07 21:07:33

My mum mentioned getting one for me today. I hadn't planned to get one but then thought perhaps they are handy at the start because you can move them around from room to room etc.

If you got one did you find it handy or is it a waste of money because you use if for such a short time.

kevinsmother Sat 22-Sep-07 21:09:21

Yes very handy. Baby feels nice and cosy and secure and you can move them around and have them right by your bed. Looks very cute too! Good luck x

MrsBadger Sat 22-Sep-07 21:15:18

vital
keep it by your bed so you don't need to get up for night feeds, also so they can nap in the kitchen / living room while you keep an eye on them
having them in your room at night is also recommended to reduce the risk of cot death
cheapest and the best

MamaMaiasaura Sat 22-Sep-07 21:19:47

I think they are fab. We are planning on re-using our family heirloom again (is 40 years old and still going strong!). Congratulations on your preg - when are you due?

Stefka Sat 22-Sep-07 21:20:57

14th of October! Someone had lent us a crib but then I found out is has been used by 9 previous babies and I was worried about the mattress.

sleepycat Sat 22-Sep-07 21:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MamaMaiasaura Sat 22-Sep-07 21:22:45

Not long to go then! grin 31st Dec here.

Re the crib you have - just get a new mattress - mothercare to a wide range, although john lewis do so too and better price/quality imo.

I am getting new mattress for myh moses basket, even tho ds was last to use dont like the idea of re-using mattress.

mazzystar Sat 22-Sep-07 21:22:51

can you borrow one?

never had one for ds, he was huge anyway, would have been out of it by 3 months
borrowed one for dd, slept in it till very recently - 7 months.

ScoobyDooooo Sat 22-Sep-07 21:24:15

Yes moses baskets are fab, i find that babies are so small they look lost anywhere else, also very snug for the winter months.

I would also get a new mattress for the crib you have been given, better to be safe than sorry.

Stefka Sat 22-Sep-07 21:26:54

I can't find one the right size. It's an old ikea crib and ikea tend to do odd sizes so that you have to buy your mattress from them. It's probably the same price to buy a mattress as it is to get a basket anyway.

Stefka Sat 22-Sep-07 21:27:38

I am thinking I just won't use the crib - better safe than sorry.

MamaMaiasaura Sat 22-Sep-07 21:29:09

my moses basket isnt standard size either. Is alright is a 1 or 2 cm out tho. I am getting Pram mattress from mothercare 33 x 74 round ended (iirc) unfortunately JL dont do that size.

Stefka Mon 24-Sep-07 08:59:19

The mattress I have is 72cm by 42cm - not seen that size anywhere.

We are getting a snuggle nest that goes in the bed with us for the start so the baby has somewhere to sleep at night. During the day I thought it might be handy to have something that can be moved around.

jellyjem Mon 24-Sep-07 15:47:00

I've just ordered a moses basket from Mamas & Papas, they're quite a bit bigger than the usual sized ones which I thought would be better because it'll last a bit longer.

M & P are usually quite a bit more expensive than Mothercare but they're discontinuing the Bumble & Moo range so at the moment its £49 instead of about £80.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now