Talk

Advanced search

Newborn- what to wear when sleeping?

(11 Posts)
EimB Sat 06-Jun-20 23:32:11

Heyy, I may sound silly asking this but FTM due in Sept and I have got a next to me crib and I was wondering when baby is sleeping what exactly do you put round baby when they are sleeping? I know they would be wearing vest and sleepsuit but would you use a sleeping bag or just a blanket? Sorry I sound so silly asking this!

OP’s posts: |
TiptopJ Sat 06-Jun-20 23:41:36

I used blankets from birth, not too heavy and big enough to tuck in but small enough so it doesnt need to be folded over itself. I read there is a slight risk involved in sleep bags becuade their head can be too small for them and they can wriggle under them. A blanket tucked under their arms will be fine and they're too small to be able to kick it off.

Being cooler is better than being too hot and you'll be able to judge if you need to add/remove layers everytime you wake to feed them.

Boomclaps Sat 06-Jun-20 23:42:32

It depends on how warm the room is.
Anything from just a nappy, to nappy, short sleeve vest, long vest, sleep suit and cardi or gro bag depending on how warm or cold it is.

Aberforthsgoat Sat 06-Jun-20 23:50:54

DS was too small for all his grobags until he was about three months old as he was five pounds when he was born and they easily went over his head
He was a winter baby and our house was cool so we put him in vest, babygrow with feet and fold over mitts, and a thick cellular blanket doubled up and tucked under the mattress at the sides

As he's got older we've changed depending on what the weather and temp is like. He's been in a short sleeved vest and 0.5 tog bag when it's been warm and now he's in the same bag but with a full long sleeved sleepsuit on, socks and a thin fleece blanket tucked in over the bag (I know this isn't advised but he's going through a thrashing about stage at the moment and this settles him)

I would recommend a couple of different blankets, plus some grobags in different tog sizes (baby Mori ones are expensive but plenty of room for them so can grow into them so they last longer than others) so you've covered all bases

EimB Sat 06-Jun-20 23:51:25

Thank you both smile so good to get some advice.
I had been looking at The Original Grobag Grey Marl Swaddle Wrap, wonder has anyone used one of these instead of a blanket?

EimB Sat 06-Jun-20 23:53:13

@Aberforthsgoat thank you for all the info.i think I will do just that and buy a range of things just to be on the safe side. Thanks again for the advice smile

New2020 Sun 07-Jun-20 00:26:26

I'm a FTM too and debated what to get for a long time!!

I decided to go for a swaddle wrap to begin with..and have also got the snuggle for when the baby is a bit bigger.

It just meant a bit more peace of mind than blankets and some guidance as to what the baby should wear depending on tog and room temperature

Who knows if it's the right decision!

purplejungle Sun 07-Jun-20 00:35:30

We are using grosnugs with our newborn, they can be used from 5lbs up. Our baby seems to really like having his arms enclosed, and I really like that you can put the room temperature into the website and it tells you what to dress the baby in.

FizzingWhizzbee123 Mon 08-Jun-20 13:57:37

Check out Love to Dream swaddles. They’re fantastic. Zip on easily, single layer so no overheating, natural arms up position, baby can still suck fists and rub face to soothe while having all the benefits of a swaddle. They’re great.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 08-Jun-20 14:02:00

We just used cellular blankets that my mum gave me, they had been my sister's when she was a baby. I don't think grobags were a thing then or we might have used one of those in the winter months. He did sometimes sleep in his carry cot as a newborn with a cosy toes attached, when I went to visit DH and stayed overnight (we were in the middle of moving house so I stayed with my parents and DH had his boys at the old house). He wore vest, babygro, and a fleecy sleepsuit.

ThinkPink71 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:50:57

My three week old wears a vest, baby grow & a sleeping bag.

Sometimes a blanket on.

To be honest...you will just know after a few days what suits & makes your baby happy smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in