Talk

Advanced search

Hayfever in Pregnancy - any alternatives to Antihistamines?

(9 Posts)
Rara88Cas Mon 01-Jun-20 10:49:27

Really struggling with hay-fever and I normally take Antihistamines, however, I'm trying to find something that's safe for baby that will help with these awful symptoms!

Any Help appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Bluebelltulip Mon 01-Jun-20 10:54:35

Prevalin nasal spray is what I use when pregnant or breastfeeding.

GoatsDoRome Mon 01-Jun-20 10:56:45

You can take antihistamines in pregnancy. Both loratadine and cetirizine have plenty of evidence showing they are safe to use. There are other antihistamines too which are fine.

Rara88Cas Mon 01-Jun-20 10:57:33

@Bluebelltulip thats great I'll get some ordered!

RyvitaBrevis Mon 01-Jun-20 11:03:36

I assume you've already tried staying inside, drying your laundry inside, and sleeping with the windows closed (not fun in this heat!). Pollen increases in the early hours and usually peaks in the morning.

The first thing to try would be a nasal spray. Otherwise, loratadine is considered to be safe in pregnancy. www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/can-i-take-hay-fever-medicine-during-pregnancy/

I have a year-round allergy to dust and have to take an antihistamine to prevent it setting off asthma etc, and the doctor recommended switching to loratadine.

Seeline Mon 01-Jun-20 11:05:26

Many antihistamines are safe in permanency. They use some to treat the symptoms of HG!

Speak to your GP or pharmacist to check which ones you can take.

vinoelle Mon 01-Jun-20 11:09:36

As above you can take them. Also try sterimar - over the counter - it’s brilliant

Rara88Cas Mon 01-Jun-20 11:13:51

Thanks guys! You've really helped me!

ChickenDipper28 Mon 01-Jun-20 22:20:30

I use Prevalin too. It's drugs free! Although it's now called Becodefence 😊

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in