Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lower Back Pain in Early Pregnancy Does it = Miscarriage?

(15 Posts)
missworry Fri 21-Sep-07 03:00:45

I'm very intersted to know if others have experienced lower pack pain in early pregnancy. What was the pain like, how strong? did it vary? was it more in the evening or all day. Anything anyone can tell me?

I experienced a missed miscarriage earlier in the year and had back pain with that. The pain is not as srong this time but its still there. What does it mean. Why is this happening to me???

How do you tell the difference between threatened miscarriage and ligament stretching? Surely if it was jsut ligament stretching it wouldn't be there most the time?

Uki Fri 21-Sep-07 03:28:36

Hi miss

sorry you are worried, I never had any pain at all with my miscarriages. I don't think pain is a definite sign of anything, it could be just unrelated, do you normally have any back problems or weakness?

maybe try taking it easy and it will go away.

slim22 Fri 21-Sep-07 03:50:58

trapped sciatic nerve maybe?
It usually is on one side from hip to bottom......hope all goes well for you.
If you are very anxious ask a midwife/GP

missworry Fri 21-Sep-07 04:23:59

GP's don't or can't say. They seem to have the attitude that miscarriage is so common, why worry because there's nothing you can do. I'm so fed up with this response.

The pain is not on one side, though it sometimes changes, its definitely mostly right in the middle at the base of my spine.

Perhaps you're right Uki, it might be unrelated. Just seems an ominous coincidence that I've had no back pain before except the last time I was pregnant.

I wish I had a midwife?? Its not something they seem to do here in Australia. You see your GP and/or hospital or private Obstetrician when its time for an appointment, its not like you can just ring up anytime and have a chat to someone. If I survive this, perhaps one day I can set up the Anxious Pregnant Women's hotline staffed with midwives and other wise women smile

slim22 Fri 21-Sep-07 06:48:39

keeping fingers and everything else crossed for you missworry.

Alfie72 Fri 21-Sep-07 07:52:59

Miss worry, If you are having no luck with your GP-I would go see an obstetrician as you seem ( understandably) really stressed.
I got pregnant whilst I was in Australia on holiday ( I used to live there) and got an early scan to reassure me and found the obstetrician helpful.

positive Fri 21-Sep-07 08:45:52

Hi missworry,

Think everyone and every pregnancy is different but if you are really worried I would try to arrange an early scan - it really put my mind at ease when I say baby's heartbeat at 8 +2 (I had had cramps and back pain for about 5/6 days and was referred for an early scan)

Hope alls well

Jobi1 Fri 21-Sep-07 11:20:34

Hi missworry, hope you're ok.

I had horrendous lower back ache in early stages, am almost 31 weeks now and still worrying myself sick about it all!

Take care.

Caz10 Fri 21-Sep-07 15:23:08

Hi hope you are ok. I know everyone is different but I had terrible pains, round my back and period-like ones at the front, esp at about 9 weeks. Now 28wks and everything ok. It was a terrible worry though, and we could obviously check in with a midwife which was reassuring.

fettleandminifettle Fri 21-Sep-07 15:54:00

Hi Missworry

i had horrific back ache and period pains at the start - after 2 mcs thought it had to be a bad sign, but little 2 day old Toby is just sleeping on my lap.

But as others have said, I really would advise getting some reassurance, as it really helps you remain positive.

Ligament stretching is a pretty constant pain, but should ease over the coming weeks, as other reassuring symptoms start to kick in!

Take care
xxx

missworry Sat 22-Sep-07 00:48:23

Congratulations to the Fettles. Thankyou all of you for your reassurance and patience.

Alfie72 Sat 22-Sep-07 12:45:50

Excellent news Fettle and Hi to Toby !
Hope you get some answers soon Miss Worry and I am sure that M/w, obstetricians would rather you ask, that's what my M/W told me anyway. Pregnancy is a bit of a roller coaster ride sometimes !! Best of luck

missworry Tue 25-Sep-07 07:43:25

Hello all,

I can get no reassurance from my GP about the back pain and what it might or might not mean. A couple times I've woken up with it, like today. Yesterday I felt ok because I didn't have any pain but today I'm panicky again because my back is so so sore. I see the obstetrician on Thursday and I'll have a scan then too. I'm 10 + 1 now and looking pregnant, but I think its probably just being bloated.

positive Tue 25-Sep-07 16:51:05

HI Missworry,

sorry you have to wait another couple of days before you can get any answers about your back pain. I had back pain for about a week (it was worse than period pain) but lucky it went away, still get a few twinges now and then but was told to go back to hosp if it was unbearable otherwise not to worry so hopefully you'll be told the same thing on thursday.
hope all goes well for you on thursday, take care in the meantime. x

postnatalbacksolutions Tue 22-Nov-16 08:58:23

If you are worried about your back pain, don't hesitate to give our clinic a call and speak to one of our practitioners for some free advice over the phone. We are located is Epsom and Sutton, and are eager to help any mum in need. http//:postnatalbacksolutions.com or www.facebook.com/postnatalbacksolutions

Koosje Kosters
Paediatric Osteopath & Physiotherapist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now