Advanced search

When to stop taking asprin

(15 Posts)
Liveforholidays Wed 27-May-20 06:42:56

Hi, I'm currently taking 150mg of aspirin once a day due to having low papp a picked up at my 12 week scan. I've read lots of conflicting advice about when to stop taking it (due to increased risk of hemmoraging during labour). At every midwife /consultant appointment I've asked the question. At my most recent consultant appointment I was told to take it right up to birth. At my midwife appointment yesterday I was told I should have stopped taking it at 36 weeks (I'm now 39 weeks so a bit late if this is the latest advice!). Any one else taking it, what advice have you been given?

OP’s posts: |
toastedcrumpetsforme Wed 27-May-20 06:56:07

I asked this as I'm due to run out before my due date. My midwife said to stop taking it at 38 weeks, but on the NHS website it suggests to keep taking it until delivery, so I'm clueless too.

MrsMaglev Wed 27-May-20 06:59:10

I've been on the same dose for low papp-a, my consultant said to stop taking it at 36 weeks but I think I've read that guidance can differ locally with this.

fool11 Wed 27-May-20 07:05:30

I was told to stop at 36w with possible induction at 38w.

TenThousandSpoons0 Wed 27-May-20 07:19:15

Conventional advice was to stop at 36 weeks - it’s basically done its job by then anyway. But evidence shows there’s no increased risk of haemorrhage with it even if taken up until delivery so advice can differ because of that. The inconsistency is because there’s potentially no exact right answer and it doesn’t make much difference!

Kezmum14 Wed 27-May-20 07:24:26

I’m on 150mg of aspirin and 0.70ml of Tinzaparin. I asked my consultant about when to stop and they were a bit dismissive. I’m 34 weeks and will have a csection. They don’t want me to go in to natural labour but still (at the moment) insist that it’s best to do it at 39 weeks even though I naturally went in to labour with my last baby at 39 weeks. If I assume I’ll have to stop taking Tinzaparin 48hrs before my op as you can’t have a spinal while on it. No idea what happens if I go in to labour and it ends up being an emergency. My consultant just seems to not want to worry me but by avoiding the questions I’m more worried 😢 I’ve suggested to my partner that I may stop taking them myself at 37 weeks and see what happens as I’ve not had problems in the past with blood clots.

mouse1234567 Wed 27-May-20 07:44:01

I stopped taking at 36 weeks as I vaguely remember that being when the consultant told me.

Liveforholidays Wed 27-May-20 08:47:19

Thanks all for your replies. How confusing 🤔 i guess we can only go with the advice we've been given.

OP’s posts: |
theseriousmoonlight Wed 27-May-20 08:51:45

Just to concur with those saying 36 weeks. I've been on it for both pregnancies as my mum had suspected pre-eclampsia (she has MS which what it prob was but better to be safe than sorry). The reason you stop it at 36 weeks according to my midwife is so that the impact on your blood is lessened.

I would tell the team when you go in to give birth that you only stopped at 39 weeks so that they know.

FWIW, I get a lot of conflicting advice from my consultant and my midwives!

Billyjoearmstrong Wed 27-May-20 11:34:55

I’m on aspirin too because I’m fat.

I’m due to have a section at 38 weeks.

No one has told me when to stop - the consultant just shrugged and said he didn’t know confused

The midwife just says her usual “speak to the consultant” (because it’s that easy to actually see one).

I’m a hcp myself so I know that I should stop taking it at least 2 weeks before major surgery - I lost enough blood in the last two sections.

It’s madness.

MissisBee Wed 27-May-20 11:41:54

I've been on it due to previous pre-eclampsia. Was told to keep going until delivery

Liveforholidays Wed 27-May-20 16:19:07

@theseriousmoonlight thank you for your advice. I'll definitelyt tell the midwife team that I've only just stopped taking it. Seems like there's no hard and fast rule. I've got another blood pressure check up tomorrow so I'll ask again.

OP’s posts: |
Kezmum14 Wed 27-May-20 17:07:33

@Billyjoearmstrong can I ask what the reasons are for a c section at 38 weeks? I’m desperate to have mine done at 38 weeks for a while host of reasons but my consultant is still adamant it will be 39 weeks. My reasons are
-I’m a week ahead if we go by my lmp so I’d be 40 weeks when I have the c section - my last 2 pregnancies I’ve gone in to labour before this.
- I’ve had pre eclampsia at 39 weeks in all my 4 previous pregnancies
- they don’t want me to go in to labour naturally but my last baby I went in to labour at 38+6 (didn’t have him until 39+1)
- Every time I have a blood test I have glucose in it and they test for GD again - comes back clear but baby is measuring in the big side too. (All the others have been under 7.7lb)
- with my 3rd baby my due date was also changed at the 12 week scan - my dc is lucky to be alive and his notes day he could be up to 3 weeks late.
- 39 weeks would be the day I married my ex husband (although there might be a couple of options so not high importance)

I just can’t shake off the feeling that this baby needs to be out at 38 weeks. 🙈

Billyjoearmstrong Wed 27-May-20 17:25:29

@Kezmum14 I keloid scar and had a complicated section last time because of internal scarring. They want to do it at 38 weeks to try and avoid me getting big towards the end.

I’ve also had two quite small babies who stopped growing in the last few weeks.

It’s something I’d rather avoid actually - my 1st Ds was born at 37+4 (elective section planned but I went into labour) and he was in scbu for 4 weeks as his lungs collapsed. But I had to weigh up 38 weeks and waiting and the scarring causing problems.

Kezmum14 Wed 27-May-20 17:34:59

Sorry about your little one. They are concerned about my scarring as this will be my 4th c section and my last 2 were only 13 months apart. It must just be different in different areas. I know when I ovulated so I just feel my dates are more accurate. Even the growth scans I’ve been having say baby is measuring 6 days ahead. Guess I’ll just have to go with what the professionals say. Just hoping baby doesn’t end up in NICU because of their decision (although they have said that even though they think my third was up to 3 weeks late, it was fetal distress that caused the problems for them to be admitted to NICU for a month.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in