Talk

Advanced search

Heartburn and indigestion

(14 Posts)
FH27 Sat 23-May-20 19:34:08

Hello, hope everyone is doing well! I'm coming up 30 weeks and I'm struggling with heartburn, it used to only be an issue in the evenings and I was able to manage it by eating a light dinner earlier than I would normally. Now it's more or less all day and it's making eating quite difficult, I just have no appetite and everything seems to make it worse. I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for managing it or anything they've been prescribed by the doctor that has been helpful? I've tried gaviscon and milk but the effects don't last very long. Thanks in advance for your advice 😊

Superscientist Sat 23-May-20 19:40:10

I got omperazole prescribed it has been great, I couldn't eat or drink before and gavicon /rennes did nothing. The day after starting it I got hungry for the first time in weeks

Legallybleachblonde Sat 23-May-20 19:43:22

Omeprazole all the way! It's amazing. I took it from 28 weeks X

PippinStar Sat 23-May-20 19:53:56

Another vote for omeprazole. I had to take it in my first pregnancy and I'm on it again this time since 16 weeks. It's great, no more heartburn!

20viona Sat 23-May-20 19:56:59

See your gp I was prescribed ranitidine last year but I think that's been recalled so they will give you omeprazole. I suffered for weeks and the relief was instant.

HappyAsASandboy Sat 23-May-20 20:07:09

another vote for omeprazole. Gave me my life back!

UrsulaSings Sat 23-May-20 20:07:58

Milk actually makes heartburn worse.

Ask your doc for omeprazole. Makes such a difference.

Try and raise the head of your bed up a little bit as well until then as lying flat can make it worse.

FH27 Sat 23-May-20 20:17:00

Thanks guys will definitely ask my doctor about omeprazole, sounds amazing!

@UrsulaSings that's strange as it was actually my midwife who suggested drinking milk and I kinda felt like it was helping! Maybe it's the placebo effect.

PoodlesAreMySpiritAnimal Sat 23-May-20 20:17:17

Omeprazole is a god send! It’s enabled me to enjoy my pregnancy again smile

StressyMcStressFace Sat 23-May-20 20:56:57

Im not pregnant but A great tip I discovered recently is to standup and stretch your arms above your head for 30 - 60 seconds to give you relief - it actually works!

Nelbert19 Sat 23-May-20 21:15:56

I’m just turning 31 weeks and heartburn has suddenly hit me in the past two days - it’s awful! I’m going to try 6 small meals instead of 3 normal ones and avoiding trigger foods. If no improvement after a week, I’ll be asking for omeprazole too

Goldenmother Sun 24-May-20 13:22:50

@FH27 I'm 36 weeks and heartburn had been a issue for me for a while I've found a cold glass of milk helps, but since this week it's got much worse I'm gasping to breath and after it settles I'm left with a feeling of something being stuck in my throat I've had this a couple times this week and for the first time I was out yesterday and was complaining about the stuck in my throat feeling I started vomiting, I do get heartburn in the day time but it generally worse at night I've got midwife appointment on Tuesday so I'm going to ask for something as I can't take this for another 4 weeks

FH27 Sun 24-May-20 14:29:38

Thanks everyone for your advice!

@Goldenmother I'm sorry to hear your having such bad heartburn, I would recommend contacting your GP as I don't believe midwives are able to prescribe anything, although it might be different where you live.

Goldenmother Sun 24-May-20 14:45:19

@FH27 my midwife is very good I always have to get a prescription when I go as I'm on injection for thinning my blood so I'll ask her to get me something for the heart urn from the Dr who doing my injection prescription thankfully I don't have to much longer to go

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »