Talk

Advanced search

how small is too small?

(20 Posts)
lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 19:17:58

I have been told LO will be little (my last was 5lb at term), but am a little more worried today.
Im 38 weeks on friday but only measuring 33 weeks hmm, 2 seperate midwifes gave same reading, so know its not one off.
All of my growth scans show LO to be fine, but then it did with my DD. Is there any other reason for this? How much does water play a part in measurements?
I have appointment tomorrow but just paniced a little.
Thanks for all those that take time to reply to my silly concerns.
L

hertsnessex Tue 18-Sep-07 19:21:07

rough guidlines say you should measure your weeks correctly, but if your last babies weere small and healthy, then you obviously grow them the right size for your frame. are you small? is your dh small? what were your birth weights?

fluid does play a part, but if you have beens canned and they are happy, then i wouldnt worry about it.

as long as you are eating healthy and not doing anything sully (smoking/drinking etc) then 5lbish is 'normaly' for you.

anything under 61/2lb is classed as small, avg. babies weigh around 7/7.5lb but this is only an average, not a level you havev to achieve.

cx

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 19:26:45

im short at 5foot but a med frame, DH is 6 ft tall grin
There was placenta failure last time which was the reason they gave for her being little last time
I have been injecting blood thinners everyday trying to stop this.

hertsnessex Tue 18-Sep-07 19:27:39

ah, so there was a 'reason; for your last being small. so as long as they are monitoring your placenta, baby should be fine.

good luck, and try not to worry.

cx

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 19:28:59

thats the odd thing, they arent. they are doing growth scans but not doppler ones hmm

wheelybug Tue 18-Sep-07 19:33:17

Lisa - from my experience of a IUGR pregnancy I would imagine if they are doing growth scans they are showing up fine so using this to say that the placenta is fine as the baby would show slowing down of growth if the placenta was failing and then they would do the doppler scans to prove that the slow growth was due to placenta failure if that make sense. I think (certainly was the case when I had dd 2.5 years ago) only certain people (the 2 I had were a senior registrar and a consultant) could perform the full on dopplers so presumably its easier (and dare I say cheaper) to monitor the growth initially and then refer you if these show signs of problems.

If you're 38 weeks you shouldn't have too much to worry about if they are watching you carefully. Good luck.

hertsnessex Tue 18-Sep-07 19:36:53

im sure they are monitoring it though. not long to go lisa, stay positive.

cx

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 19:37:04

thanks, i guess i just dont trust them. They said my dd was going at be ok size, about 7lb. I only had dopplers last time after it was noted my water levels were low, so the placenta failue was only picked up then.
I know my water levels last week were 11, and been told anything 10 or less is a worry. Sorry im just ramberling now.

hertsnessex Tue 18-Sep-07 19:38:39

try to stop panicking. if you are worried about anything, go to the hosp and demand a doppler scan - is more than their careers are worth to refuse you.

cx

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 19:46:00

as i said have appointment at hospital tomorrow, so am just being silly. I know i am. My consultant isnt very understanding and is a bit of a bully Im tackling the vbac/csection/induction questions tomorrow, so should be fun.

hertsnessex Tue 18-Sep-07 19:54:22

ohhh, stand firm - TELL him what YOU want etc - dont be bullied.

which hosp?

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 19:55:48

lister, i will try blush but i get so tearful, im just so tired and hormonal

funnypeculiar Tue 18-Sep-07 19:57:41

Good luck for tommorrow, Lisa - your baby, your decision smile

lizziemun Tue 18-Sep-07 20:47:05

good luck for tomorrow.

I was measuring 36 at 40wks, and when i was induced at 41wks i was still only measuring 36cm, was told i was having an average size baby.

Baby was 9lb 2oz, so i not sure how accurate the measuring is. Not that helps.

Like you i an 5ft and med build, DH is 6ft 2in.

Rhubarb Tue 18-Sep-07 20:49:30

My dd was 6lb 14 and I was told that my next would be another small one. Certainly my bump was no bigger and I was measured quite thoroughly as I was having a home birth. Ds popped out at nearly 8lb.

Just goes to show what they know!

RIELOVESBACARDI Tue 18-Sep-07 20:50:23

i was told i was having a v small baby but at 7.7oz he was just rightgrin

oxocube Tue 18-Sep-07 20:53:56

was also told by gynae that dd (2nd baby) would be small and she was just under 6lbs. Dh is 6'2" and I am 5'7". she was a very healthy baby though and it certainly made the delivery quick and easy smile

CristinaTheAstonishing Wed 19-Sep-07 04:53:13

Good luck today. I hope you get to ask all the questions you need and the baby's well.

vole3 Wed 19-Sep-07 06:26:44

My friends had a tough time at the end of their 3rd pregnancy (new hospital) as the obstetric team thought the baby had stopped growing and wanted to deliver it prematurely.
Dad was 5 ft 4, Mum 4 ft 11, previous babies were both healthy but under 5lb at term - not really a surprise then that this one would be little too as otherwise it would have a tough time getting out.

Perhaps this one is taking after you more at the moment than dad and babies don't tend to grow bigger than can get out with (relative) ease.

Woooozle100 Wed 19-Sep-07 10:04:18

I had a little baby last time round also. Try not to worry (easier said than done) Its good they are monitoring you. In a few weeks your bab will be in your arms regardless. Wishing you all the best x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now