Talk

Advanced search

Ectopic Pregnancy? HCG levels slowly rising - help?

(20 Posts)
Needadvice1233 Tue 12-May-20 17:03:23

Hello,
Long story short, my HCG levels are slowly rising:
26th April = 32
28th April = 52
30th April = 52
7th May = 79
I had a scan and nothing can be seen at all (good or bad) because the hcg levels are so low.
I am terrified of having an ectopic pregnancy, and I'm not due back to the hospital for two weeks to have more bloods done.
Has anyone had anything similar to this - does anyone have success stories?
I have irregular cycles, so I am somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks (I think?).
Thank you.

DeepfriedPizza Tue 12-May-20 17:08:41

Something similar happened to me years ago. Levels keep rising. I’m not sure of the exact numbers but nothing on scan. I ended up with a diagnostic laparoscopy, they couldn’t see anything yet my levels were still rising after that. I ended up having methotrexate and they started to go down. They diagnosed a “pregnancy outside of womb”

All the best to you flowers

Needadvice1233 Tue 12-May-20 17:14:09

@DeepfriedPizza , thanks for your reply.
I feel very sure that somethings not right, but at the moment there is nothing I can do but wait, and its horrible.
To me it is clear that something is wrong but my Dr can't do anything until they are sure.
Do you remember what your hcg levels were before you were diagnosed?
Best wishes

ivfgottostaypositive Tue 12-May-20 21:39:09

I've had two ectopics - both ruptured. The first my hcg levels reaches 3500 before it could be seen on the scan - they gave methotrexate but unfortunately it didn't work for me (I was at the upper limit that they can give it in the U.K.) and in the end ruptured at over 5000

The second one was live with a heartbeat - levels over 10,000 and hcg was more than doubling every 48 hours so no indicator anything was wrong

They'll give it another few more days to ensure that the levels are only rising very slowly and then hopefully offer the MTX - it's more effective at fairly low levels like yours. It is a nasty drug though and made me feel pretty ropey for weeks afterward- also because it's dangerous in pregnancy you mustn't try and get pregnant again for 3 months or 6 months if you get more than 1 shot x

Farmgirl85 Tue 12-May-20 22:10:17

Hi I had this last April was bleeding was sent to a&e first hcg was 38. Told I was having MC still bleeding 12 days later hcg was 41 diagnosed pregnancy of unknown location and got treated with methotrexate and bloods back to normal within a week xx

DeepfriedPizza Wed 13-May-20 07:50:21

Sorry, I really don’t remember the exact numbers but I’m pretty sure the numbers were in the hundreds rather than thousands. It was 2011.

TenThousandSpoons0 Wed 13-May-20 10:51:08

Sorry things don’t seem to be working out normally for you. It doesn’t seem possible that this will end with a normal pregnancy - which i think you’ve worked out already sad could be either ectopic or a non - viable intrauterine pregnancy. I’m a little surprised they’re waiting 2 weeks - seems a long time, so have a low threshold to call them for review if you’re feeling unwell (or even just sick of waiting).
At those type of levels and with nothing on scan you’d likely be offered either a d&c or methotrexate rather than laparoscopy, but waiting a bit to see if the levels come down on their own first is a good idea. I hope things resolve for you soon.

Needadvice1233 Fri 22-May-20 11:03:04

Thank you for your advice everyone.
Update -
I had a repeat blood yesterday (two weeks since my last one with a hcg of 79) and my hcg came back as 439. I also had a scan which didnt show anything again. Going for more bloods again in three days time.
What does all of this mean?!

TenThousandSpoons0 Sat 23-May-20 08:38:16

Hi. Again - sorry it’s not going easily for you at all! The rise is still not enough for a viable pregnancy - you should be at minimum 2000 by now with normal rise over 2 weeks. Has anyone talked to you about what their actual plan is? This is nearly a month for you now and it would be nice if you could have some resolution sad . I would think that methotrexate should be on the table for you now. Good luck.

Em39ma Sat 23-May-20 09:28:52

@Needadvice1233
I had the same as you. I could of written your post myself.
I did 18 months ago. I finally started bleeding after about 3 weeks. I can’t take the medication so I had to leave and pass my self or had an op. I eventually pass myself, they believe it was an ectopic but there still not sure.
I fell for my DD 3 months later, she’s now 7 months.
I’m actually pregnant again now, but I’ve been bleeding since Monday. I’ve had a scan and can actually see something this time which is good, hoping it is just to early to see a heartbeat, but I’m more leading to another mc.

Jolie23 Sun 24-May-20 00:18:31

Hi @needadvice1233
Sorry you are going through this.... I can really relate.
3 weeks ago we had a positive pregancy test but within a week I started to bleed and lose clots... Assumed miscarriage but when I went for a scan they couldn't find anything so continued to monitor me through bloods.
Mine were also slow rising so diagnosed as either suspected ectopic or pregnancy of unknown location.
I desperately wanted it to happen naturally but unfortunately after several blood tests my levels were still rising and I started to experience some dull aches in my groin. So I sadly made the decision to have methotrexate yesterday.
My levels started at 263 and in my last test they were 700 odd and had risen everytime.
Really hoping it's worked and I don't have a rupture or need surgery.
From speaking to people who have been through similar there's no quick way out of this situation and mentally so far it's been draining. I have had a wave of emotions.

Hope you get some answers soon.
Il never really no what mine was.
Back on Monday to see if the injection is working 😭

Tonight my 3 year old son put his arm around my belly hugged me and said mummy is there a baby in your belly because its fat (I am extremely bloated) he doesn't have a clue what's going on my heart sank his pure innocence.

Hope your OK take care

I am new on this and have found it really helpful

Needadvice1233 Mon 25-May-20 09:52:12

Thank you everyone for your replies, advice and stories.
My hcg was taken one last time yesterday (at 479) which is obviously a very small and slow increase from 439 three days beforehand.
I have now been diagnosed with a PUL and am waiting to be treated with methotrexate. A bit scared but hoping this is the road to closure.

Jolie23 Mon 25-May-20 23:31:09

@farmgirl85 hi hope it's OK to message Just wondered if your bloods went up or down on your day 4 checkup after methotrexate? I had it on Friday and went today for my first blood test and its gone up they said that was possible but I'm worrying a bit

TenThousandSpoons0 Tue 26-May-20 06:13:15

OP I’m glad you’re going to get some treatment - hopefully all works quickly and well.
@Jolie23 it’s pretty common to see a rise at day 4, usually success is judged by the fall at day 7 so don’t lose hope! Sometimes another dose is required and sometimes it doesn’t work - but where you’re at now is a pretty normal finding, fingers crossed all going down ok on your next check x

Needadvice1233 Tue 26-May-20 06:32:45

@Jolie23 it’s not been 24 hrs since I had Methotrexate yet, but I will let you know what my result is tomorrow to reassure you.
I agree with @TenThousandSpoons0. The doctors did tell me that levels may go up after the first checkup. If they go up again then you might need a second injection but try not to worry. The chance of methotrexate working is high for many cases.

wannabebump Tue 26-May-20 08:06:55

Hey OP, just sending you a handhold thanks I had to have methotrexate last year for an ectopic so I know what you're going through. 7 days is normally the telling point for your hormone levels, and methotrexate has a high success rate. Xx

Jolie23 Tue 26-May-20 09:00:34

Thanks everyone 💐

Needadvice1233 Wed 27-May-20 19:53:00

Update -
My hcg levels have dropped to 94.
Having another blood test in a few days to check the decrease continues but I’m hoping it will keep going down quickly and I’ll be back to normal soon!

TenThousandSpoons0 Wed 27-May-20 22:42:36

Great update OP, good to get closure and move forward - here’s hoping down to 0 very soon (and then back up again normally when the time is right!)

Leala20 Thu 28-May-20 00:23:55

Hi All, I am a newbie here. Last Saturday I did a pregnancy test and cried as it came positive, first time ever, the second day I used a digital and was negative, confused I bought 3 other brands and did tests Sunday Monday and Tuesday and all came very faint. The strip one today came negative.., it sounds like my levels are dropping and not increasing and I believe I will experience MS? Have you experienced anything like this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »