Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gestational Diabetes- any advice?

(10 Posts)
suey2 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:01:46

I received a phone call from my MW today to say that my lucozade test was positive. I am booked in for a full glucose tolerance test next week at the hospital. Am very worried about the implications- any advice very gratefully received.

suey2 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:02:16

oh, i am 29 weeks PG. First timer

sparklygothkat Tue 18-Sep-07 16:06:10

I was diagnosed with GD at 29 weeks, I have had to monitor my blood sugars 4 times a day and adjust my diet accordly, taken sugar completely out of my diet. It can mean that you have a large baby if uncontrolled.

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Tue 18-Sep-07 16:10:50

First of all, don't worry.

Eat as healthily as possible.

I had GD with both pgs. Generally they don't like you to go further than 38 weeks. Babies can be bigger,although my dds weighed 7lbs 10 and 7 lbs 12.

I was induced for both.

You may control it by diet alone. The injections aren't so bad, if you end up on insulin.

You may feel disheartened about the fact that you will not have the birth your way, but you can at least prepare yourself for a certain type of birth/labour.

Good luck.

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Tue 18-Sep-07 16:13:00

Suey - I had two positive labours/births and I still felt healthy throughout pg. CAT me if you want to talk more.

HTH

sparklygothkat Tue 18-Sep-07 16:14:35

sorry <<hijack>>

Do all GD babies have to be induced at 38 weeks even if they are small?? I am bang on dates atm (32+5 weeks)

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Tue 18-Sep-07 16:18:31

In my hospital, they review you weekly. Lots of factors taken into consideration, because I was using insulin they would not let me go further than 38 weeks. dds weren't showing as especially big on the scans.

suey2 Tue 18-Sep-07 21:16:26

many thanks margo- I will wait and see the results of the hospital test, but then may take you up on the CAT. smile

CristinaTheAstonishing Wed 19-Sep-07 04:49:57

Hi Suey2. I second Margo's post: eat healthily, you may control it by diet alone, injections aren't so bad. In fact I find them totally painless.

I had GD with DD and managed with diet only. Now I have GD again and need insulin. DD was a healthy weight at birth (3.5 kg), this other DD now is a bit on the small side. DD1 developed some breathing problems at birth so for DD2 I'm going to have cotricosteroids injections over the weekend (to help with lung maturation), prior to induction at 38 weeks. Elective CS for both (but I have other reasons for the CS as well). I'm 41 now.

I forgot to mention that I had borderline GD on two previous occasions, and didn't need to do anything, not even fingerprick daily, so a positive test doesn't necessarily mean all that much at this stage. Good luck and don't worry.

suey2 Wed 19-Sep-07 09:02:32

thanks cristina! The internet is such a dangerous thing- the first thing i read was all the developmental problems my baby may have. A bit alarming to say the least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now