Sertraline - 34 weeks pg

(6 Posts)
Nic165 Mon 27-Apr-20 15:15:58

Just looking advice on what I should do. I've been prescribed sertraline (starting off with 50mg per day). I was told the risks are very low at this stage of pregnancy but there may be withdrawal symptoms in baby when born e.g. jittery/unsettled for a couple of days or weeks. Thing is, I really don't want to affect my baby in any way, even if the probability is low.
Consultant said it can take up to 4 weeks for the tablets to have an effect on me and I know I will definitely want to take them after birth. But if I wait until baby is born, I'm worried about going through those 4 weeks of side effects (nausea, sleep issues etc) with a newborn baby when it's already difficult enough.
What would you do in my situation if I feel I can just about hold off and keep it together until baby is born? Should I just start taking them now, wait until closer to my due date, or wait until after baby is born?

OP’s posts: |
NicNac100 Mon 27-Apr-20 15:36:25

Hey, I am not on them currently but was told they were very low risk to take when pregnant - but I have been on them before non pg - it depends on how you feel you're coping with everything right now - if you're already feeling like you need them, personally I would start them as they do take a few weeks to kick in properly - bear in mind that you'll probably be very hormonal anyway just after giving birth these could certainly take the edge off feeling completely overwhelmed - for me it took about 2 weeks to feel some effect, and I'd say 4-6 weeks to really feel the benefits. I don't think they would prescribe them if there was a huge issue with side effects for the baby. Also your mental wellbeing is so important, especially with a baby to look after - and possible exhaustion and lack of sleep - good luck smile flowers

Nic165 Mon 27-Apr-20 16:30:56

Thank you for replying. It's so difficult - on my good days I think I don't even need the tablets and just keep holding out/see how I go, but then on my bad days, I'm ready to take them right now. I would just hate to think that because of taking sertraline, it would impact my baby in some way, no matter how small. Though I am fearful of those first few weeks postpartum as I suffered badly last time. I avoided medication last time, but this time I really can't afford to go through the same thing, for the sake of my partner and my kids.

OP’s posts: |
Mumoftwoxxxx Tue 27-Oct-20 10:11:28

Hi nic....hope you get to see this....I’m just curious of the exact same issue....and seeing that this was in regards to April I’m just wondering what decision you made and if there was any problems with little one when born as that is my worry too.
P.s hope all is well with yourself and baby

Thanks smile

JLM1008 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:17:42

Hi @Nic165

The risks of side effects to your baby are minimal. I’m on Mirtazapine 30mg and have been for about 3 years. My midwife has made me aware of possible withdrawal symptoms when baby is born but she’s never actually seen it happen. I would try them and see how you get on. I had a strong reaction to sertraline and it made me incredibly anxious and suicidal. I stopped taking them after 3 days as it steadily got worse. However my doctor urged me to push through it and keep taking them (madness!) I would just say be aware of how you feel and if you think it’s making you worse don’t be afraid to ask to be put on something different. X

YouBringLightInToADarkPlace Tue 27-Oct-20 10:26:27

I have been on them since before conception, and I'm due to have the baby on Thursday (aghh!).
I spoke to my midwife about it and she said you have to weigh up the pros and cons but she considered that my mental health would have an effect on the baby so I was best to continue on them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in