Talk

Advanced search

Weight - is anyone else paranoid??

(24 Posts)
widgetsmummy Wed 12-Sep-07 13:03:41

I'm 18 wks and paranoid about not gaining too much weight. I was pretty happy with myself before being pregnant, not really a careful eater, not a dieter. But between the internet, books, the midwife and my mother I'm so conscious now of having to lose baby-weight after birth its stressing me out!

Should I stop worrying and eat the chocolate buttons I so desperately want (not need!)????

loobyt Wed 12-Sep-07 13:11:07

I'm 18 weeks too and although a little concerned about loosing the weight afterwards am enjoying eating the odd cake etc and not having to worry about it. Your body knows what you need so go with it I say and enjoy those chocolate buttons!

karenLouise Wed 12-Sep-07 13:13:32

I say eat the cholcolate buttons if you really fancy them as long as you don't go over the top.
I was really careful to start with as before becoming pregnant I had lost 2 and a half stone with weight watchers, but I decided that I didn't really want to think that way whilst pg and although I do try to eat healthily - lot of fresh fruit and veg I am also allowing myself some treats - crisps or the odd chocolate bar if I fancy them. I'm 23 weeks and so far I've gained about a stone which I think is ok.

aikigypsy Wed 12-Sep-07 13:19:30

Don't listen to your mother! Mine was very nagging in the beginning about not gaining too much. I have several friends who gained over the recommended amount and lost it in the 9 months after birth with no problem, so I decided to listen to them instead. I was ravenous all the time up to about 18/20 weeks, then I started to have occasional days with a normal appetite.

Are you still getting some exercise? That will help keep weight gain healthy. Breastfeeding burns lots of calories, too, and will help you regain your pre-pregnancy shape sooner, or so they tell me. Listen to your body. It sounds like you were a healthy eater before, and there's no reason pregnancy would change that sensitivity to what you need.

LucyK1978 Wed 12-Sep-07 13:21:07

I am 31 weeks and gained about half a stone so far - but then I was a 'bit' overweight to begin with (am a bit lardy arsed!) I think that the cutting out of alcohol and 16 weeks of morning sickness has actually helped me loose weight during the course of the pregnancy, if you take off all the things they say the baby weighs, placenta, fluid etc. Having said that, I think there are a few pounds ready to pounce when I'm not looking as got a bit complacent recently.... hmm

I think as long as you are not silly or over indulgent (and get your 5 fruit and veg a day for healthy baby!), then a little bit of what you fancy is absolutely fine - so go on, enjoy those choccy buttons!! grin

CarGirl Wed 12-Sep-07 13:24:08

with all 4 pregnancies I ended up weighing about the same 10.5-11 stone (I'm very short btw) but the first time I weighed 6.5 stone pre-pregnancy, the 2nd time nearer 9 stone. I'm now back to around 7.5 stone (about right for my height) all without any dieting so please don't worry about it, just make sure you eat because you are hungry not bored and make sure you are not wanting a sugar fix because you have become anaemic!

widgetsmummy Wed 12-Sep-07 13:29:45

It does sound like I was asking everyone to justify me eating chocolate buttons, but you get the point! I'm exercising a bit and doing my best on the five a day... I just thought being PG might be quite liberating, being tummy proud and all.

missbumpy Wed 12-Sep-07 14:08:02

Try not to worry about it. As long as you're not going crazy and eating 10 bags of buttons a day grin you'll be fine. I've been through phases of being really worried about my weight gain but now I'm nearing the end (35wks), I couldn't care less!

It doesn't help that everyone sticks their oar in with helpful comments about weight gain and what to eat/what not to eat. As long as your midwife isn't worried about your weight, I reckon you should just relax and listen to your body.

capecodder Wed 12-Sep-07 14:11:18

I was a bit paranoid about weight gain at first. At 5ft nothing and 7 stone I've always been very petite and like it that way.

Despite very healthy eating and lots of long walks- I put on a stone in the first 20 weeks. At first it really freaked me out but then I figured that is what my body needed to be happening.

Now that 30 weeks I am a stone and a half and all paranoia has disappeared for the most part. I haven't put on too much weight anywhere but my enormous bump and can still fit into one of my size 8 jeans if I pull them down on my hips.

I'd like to think that with all of my mostly healthy eating, it will be easier to lose the weight. And if not, will get a personal trainer to whip be back into shape.

spugs Wed 12-Sep-07 14:59:42

during my first 2 pregnancys i ate what the hell i liked (mainly sprinkle donughts from greggs!) and put on 2 1/2 and 3 stone. but i did lose it within 6 mths on both occassions.

with this pregnancy im not craving sweet things and im eating much healthier (ive gone off chocolate shock ) would like to try and not put on too much this time as my arse always ends up huge and i hate it but if i do i do.

as for not putting on a lot of weight, i never start putting it on properly till the 2nd half of pregnancy especially the last 10 weeks.

RGPargy Wed 12-Sep-07 15:02:31

I'm too scared to get on the scales now blush But i am determined to lose babyweight and more when this one is born. Have the buttons!!! And make sure they're the GIANT ones!!! mmmmm......

RG (29+1)

missbumpy Wed 12-Sep-07 15:08:26

Mmm, Giant Buttons. I haven't seen them. They sound lovely.

RGPargy Wed 12-Sep-07 15:16:36

Oh they are absolutely FABULOUS!! Buttons aren't worth having unless they're Giant Buttons!!

[thinks about nipping to Tesco to get some]

missbumpy Wed 12-Sep-07 15:25:50

How've I missed out on this? They sound great. And probably so much cheaper than the Green & Blacks I've been scoffing.

RGPargy Wed 12-Sep-07 15:27:14

GIANT BUTTONS FTW!!!!

Alfie72 Wed 12-Sep-07 18:51:05

My tip Just don't weigh yourself !!
I have at 37 weeks put on three stone (probably over that now) and for someone who is a neat size 8- it's been all a bit of a shock !! I think as long as you are balancing healthy food with the occassional treat, you'll be fine.
I do belive that if you crave something - you obviously need it.
Breast feeding stores are needed too don't forget plus your baby's weight plus the placenta, fluid ...That's what I keep telling myself when I struggle to find anything to wear !!

theressomethingaboutmarie Thu 13-Sep-07 08:58:30

I've put on about 2.5 stone. I was 12 stone to begin with and 5"7 so a BMI of about 26 or so. I've had a lower than normal appetite throughout my pregnancy so I figure that my body has gained what it needed to. My only real craving has been for milk and cereal which I've eaten in moderation so no reason that I should feel bad about for having gained as much as I have... I'm 36+1

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 10:02:14

I agree with Alfie72. I was weighed at my booking in appointment and once again since then. I really don't want to know how much I've gained because it will only freak me out and there's not a lot I can do about it now (she says, sitting back and stuffing yet more chocolate in her face) grin

emki77 Thu 13-Sep-07 10:43:20

I didn't weigh myself at all during my last pregnancy so have no idea what I gained but do know that I weighed slightly less before getting pg this time, 12 months after giving birth, than I did before getting pg last time.

So, I think what I am trying to say is that I found it best to be blissfully ignorant of my weight gain (and to tuck into anything I fancied) and that the baby weight came off without too much worry. I am sure that we are all resonable ladies so a few treats here and there (or more often than that!) won't do any harm. I also read somewhere recently that how much weight you gain during pg is mostly determined by genetics anyway so I say go for the buttons! wink

RGPargy Thu 13-Sep-07 11:09:10

No no no!! Go for the GIANT buttons!!!

Alfie72 Thu 13-Sep-07 11:59:29

I can strongly recommend a daily walk, bit of a swim, I did ante natal yoga too...I think it's cool to be more relaxed over the nine months but I reckon people who do some exercise do spring back in to shape quicker ( plus breast feeding is an additional help !!) Then you can treat yourself to those giant buttons !!!wink

daisyandbabybootoo Thu 13-Sep-07 12:06:09

don't get too hung up on it. they stopped weighing women every AN appointment as it's not a good indicator of how the baby is doing.

My first pregnancy I was very active swimming twice a week, ate reasonably well and walked back and forth to work till about 8 months, and I put on 2 stone.

I had my second baby 14 weeks ago, was much more sedantary as drove to work, not out and about as much, stopped swimming at 7 weeks due to crushing weariness and ate rather more than my fair share of galaxy chocolate and magnum ice creams.....and still put on 2 stone.

Go with the "a little of what you fancy does you good/9 months up:9 months down" school of thought, try to stay active as long as possible and ENJOY your pregnancy smile

And congratulations!

EllieG Thu 13-Sep-07 20:56:12

I've put on half a stone and I'm only 9+1. Am STARVING all the time, and trying to eat healthily but the odd cake is sneaking in...have worked out if I carry on gaining weight at this weight will have put on 4 stone by time I have the baby! How do I stop this! Am very panicy about weight gain normally being a bit eating disordered over the years. Will it keep going on at this rate? I am trying to go to gym, not as much as normal as too tired, but a couple times a week and whatever else I can manage.
My clothes are getting very tight now too, have big tummy which is where the half stone is I think! Feel very blobby.

maveta Thu 13-Sep-07 21:07:38

I really wouldn´t worry about it. Here in Spain they are really full on saying you should only put on 11kgs in pregnancy and tried to put me on a diet at one point shock I was 63kgs before I got pregnant (am 5´7" so was about size 10) and went up to 79kgs!! shock but I was totally chilled and ate what I wanted. I lost 11kgs within 10days of the birth and have since lost another 3kgs with pretty little effort (ok lately I´m trying to be a bit more careful about what I eat and go jogging, but only as of a few weeks ago). My ds is 4.5months old.

I´m going back to work in a couple of weeks and reckon the remaining few kilos will come off then when I´m no longer bumming about the house snacking all day long.. grin

Relax and enjoy! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now