Talk

Advanced search

27000 hcg; down syndrome, twins, or non viable pregnancy?

(18 Posts)
Metztli Mon 30-Mar-20 06:18:17

Hi... I am on my 2nd pregnancy and im 36yrs old. 1st pregnancy was 10 yrs ago. It was the best news ever to be pregnant after being told at 16 i would not ever be able to have children. I do not know how far along i am yet but after going to my first official prenatal appointment to find that out i was told that nothing was there, no baby. I am devastated and have no idea what to think. Blood tests were done to confirm pregnancy and to get hcg levels. Doctor called same day and said my levels were high 27000 and recommended/set up an emergency ultrasound followed by surgery and told me that it i could bleed out if i did not go asap. I refused to go. This happened 2 days ago now. I still don't know how far along i am. I still don't know it i have a viable pregnancy. I read that high hcg could mean down syndrome and my man does have that in his family, 4 of his close relatives have it. I also read twins could be another reason for the high levels, and we both have those in our families. At this point i feel i should wait, i have not felt bad at all just basic pregnancy nuisances. Am i beong stupid and unreasonable? Am i in denial? Am i doing the right thing? What should i do now? If anyone understands this situation and can relate in any way please help me.

KHall84 Mon 30-Mar-20 07:12:57

It could be ectopic and your doctor is right you need to go for another scan asap and take it from there as it could rupture so listen to the medical advice and go get the scan and take it from there

Sulkypatsy Mon 30-Mar-20 07:18:06

It is unreasonable to refuse to take medical advice. If they haven't seen anything in your womb, you are not likely to be pregnant. Sometimes they don't see everything they want to, fetal pole, gestational sack, yolk sac at the very beginning but there should be something there. You need to see a doctor, it could be ectopic or molar and needs treatment. A downs pregnancy should not really present as physically different in the early stages

ChipsAreLife Mon 30-Mar-20 08:21:22

I think you need to listen to the medical advice. Now is not the time you want to leave things and get poorly and need to be rushed in when the hospitals are so busy.

Please speak to your dr again. It's scary but it's important you keep safe.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Mon 30-Mar-20 08:24:02

Why would you refuse the scan?

TwinkleStars15 Mon 30-Mar-20 09:11:07

Surely if you’d gone for the scan it would have answered all these questions? I’m confused why you refused it?

nomorewinedayfriday Mon 30-Mar-20 09:16:38

In no way am I telling you to ignore medical advice but just my own experience - I had pain in early pregnancy and bloods taken (scan couldn't be done that day).

I got a call from the hospital at 10pm that day to say that hcg was very very high and they wanted to admit me ASAP. I said no as I was home alone with a sleeping 3 year old (DH works away) and instead agreed to go to an emergency scan the next day.

They said the levels were also in line with multiple pregnancy or eptopic.

Everything was totally fine in the end, got 3 weeks to go. Only one baby, implanted in the right place and downs test came back as low risk. I asked about the hcg levels and all they could say is that some women have high levels.

Get it checked out and best of luck :-)

Adelais Mon 30-Mar-20 10:30:45

With those hcg levels you should be able to see something on the scan. I’ve had an ectopic pregnancy and I’d gone for a scan at 6 weeks as was bleeding to be told there was nothing there and I must of miscarried. Two weeks later and my tube ruptured and I ended up needing emergency surgery. You definitely need to go for another scan so they can locate the pregnancy.

Adelais Mon 30-Mar-20 10:33:40

Oh and I fell pregnant again the following year and was monitored from 6 weeks and my hcg levels came back at 96000! That pregnancy resulted in a healthy baby girl so high hcg levels don’t mean there’s anything wrong.

HarrietM87 Mon 30-Mar-20 10:34:41

The levels wouldn’t reflect downs at this stage. It’s more likely to be an ectopic pregnancy and you could die if it ruptures. Go to hospital!!!

Robs20 Mon 30-Mar-20 10:39:08

With hcg levels that high you would expect to see something on a scan. Mine were 89000 at 6 weeks and I was convinced I was having a molar pregnancy. I am now 33 weeks with twins.
Good luck, please go and have the scan.

Bezalelle Mon 30-Mar-20 10:48:37

told me that it i could bleed out if i did not go asap. I refused to go.

Sorry to sound harsh, but this is madness. You NEED medical attention. Please look after yourself.

KittenVsBox Mon 30-Mar-20 11:06:02

Please, please go back for further bloods and a repeat scan if that's what has been advised.
I had an ectopic pregnancy, and very quickly became very I'll (as in, admitted to hospital for surgery thinking wtf, I'm fine. Within 3 hrs I was on the emergency list for the next available operating theatre).
Hopefully there is nothing wrong, and you have a viable pregnancy, but there us also a chance something is seriously wrong, and you need to rule out the second senario.

Hoggleludo Mon 30-Mar-20 11:07:02

Sheesh. Why did you refuse to go?

I've had an ectopic. It resulted in 4 emergency operations to save my life. All within 1 month

It was horrific

Redcrayons Mon 30-Mar-20 11:12:06

The real doctor knows better than Dr Google.

I understand you really want to be pregnant, but you have to take the advice of the professionals.

ByAppointmentTo Mon 30-Mar-20 11:14:42

DO NOT IGNORE MEDICAL ADVICE! I'm really sorry about the situation you're in and know how hard it is to be in limbo like this but you need to schedule your scan ASAP and then you will be closer to getting some answers.

Metztli Fri 10-Apr-20 22:20:09

i am now 8 weeks 2 days pregnant. As you read I refused medical advice 2 times and relied strictly on what little faith i had and my motherly instincts to keep strong and hold on. I ended up going to the ER after a while where i was told once again i would need a d&c but this time because it was a blighted ovum (empty sac) and not an ectopic pregnancy. They offered for me to stay the night at the ER and that they would find someone to come in and do the procedure. I said i would have to think about it and that if i felt bad in any way i would return. I got my discharge papers pretty quick but not before the doctor said i was being irresponsible and not making the right choice. So it had been almost a week. It was time for me to accept what i was being told and find a way to say good bye. It was very hard i had family and my significant other telling me it just wasn't meant to be and at least it wasn't a real baby. I know it was all in an effort to make me feel better about the situation but i just couldn't accept it. I finally got the courage to make am appointment with my original doctor. At this point i was physically very unwell, mostly cause if all the stress i was causing myself, so i was willing to accept the procedure. Once in the doctors office i was sort of treated oddly because i had refused medical advice. The nurse asked me why why i had refused procedure and all i could say is "i don't know why maybe i still have a little hope that he's in there i guess im just crazy" she laughed, nodded and left the room. Next thing i know im getting a vaginal ultrasound when lo and behold she turned the screen and said 'there he is, he's right their.' There was my baby. Now im in disbelief and have no idea what to do now. Im honestly exhausted from the whole situation and have no energy. Im happy the way things are turning out and am just praying desperately to get the strength i need to be a good mom and be strong.

sel2223 Fri 10-Apr-20 23:07:25

I am happy to hear your good news congratulations.

Did I misunderstand the first post though or did you refuse the emergency scan? Surely that would have put your mind at rest sooner, or am I missing something?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »