Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Slapped cheek disease & pregnancy

(11 Posts)
WindUpBird Sat 08-Sep-07 17:10:33

Hi, dd came out in a rash today and the doc said it MAY be slapped cheek disease. As she now has spots she is no longer contagious. I am approx 8 weeks pregnant and concerned as slapped cheek can cause miscarriage. Do you know if I have to have the disease for it to be passed onto the baby? So far I have no symptoms, but could I still develop them even if dd is not contagious anymore? Many thanks for any info or advice...

cece Sat 08-Sep-07 17:12:39

DD had slapped cheek about a month ago and I was told to keep her away from pg women till her rash had gone. I would either contact my GP or phone NHS to get some reassuarance if I were you.

WindUpBird Sat 08-Sep-07 17:17:43

Thank you, the doctor who I saw just now was very good but just said there was nothing I could do about it anyway :-( . I know she's right I just wondered if I could have a blood test or something to see if I was immune. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

RosyBelle Sat 08-Sep-07 17:42:15

Windup - am really sorry but mine is not a good story.. Slap cheek can cause problems in unborn babies & miscarriage in ladies under 20 weeks in pregnancy. I looked after my neice after her mother "forgot" to mention it was dangerous to pregnant women and I lost my baby at 10+ wks...sadangry

However... it is not spots!! It starts with cold like symptoms. Then a red mark appears on the cheek or cheeks (like a slap!). Its a large blush type of rash and am sure its not spotty. This rash then travels down the body - in my neices case down her arms.

She never looked spotty at all. That was 2 yrs ago & have only just got pregnant again - and my 4 yr old is about to start school - so I may well come into contact with it again.
Good luck x

cece Sat 08-Sep-07 17:50:38

Oh yes it is not spots. Do a google search for slapped cheek images... it is a mottled rash...

WindUpBird Sat 08-Sep-07 17:51:39

Rosybelle I'm really sorry to hear your story, thank you for sharing it with me. Congratulations on your new pregnancy. My dd's cheeks do have a 'slapped' look and the info I've read said that a rash on the body is common too. And she has had a cold and high temp for the last few days. So unfortunately I think it probably is slapped cheek. Not very much I can do.

Tamum Sat 08-Sep-07 17:53:32

I had it when I was pregnant with dd and didn't have any symptoms. You do have to have the disease to pass it on, but you may not know you have it. Over 90% of people have had it as children though, I think, so you are quite likely to be immune.

RosyBelle Sat 08-Sep-07 17:56:17

Ahh really sorry honey - good luck and I'm sure you will be fine.. I don't think they check your immunity - I would def have it done if they do.
Everything crossed for you x

lailasmum Sat 08-Sep-07 18:00:30

I would second the look of the rash, we thought my daughter had slap cheek earlier this year, but it turned out to be a reaction to sunblock. It quickly gained spots but started with the typical slap cheek look so we questioned it but when it turned into a body wide spotty itchy rash we realised it wasn't so if it does have spots its really likely not to be it.

3madboys Sat 08-Sep-07 18:16:55

for slapped cheek to cause problems you have to get it yourself. most people are immune to this having had it in childhood, often without knowing.

if you are concerned you can ask for a blood test to check your immunity.

i am 15wks preg and at about the same stage as you in pregnancy i too came into contact with slapped cheek, i made the mistake of googling hmm and was terrified that i would lose the baby, i got in touch with a midwife who was very helpful and helped explain the risks etc.

the chances are that you and your baby will be fine, but i know how worrying it is so am sending you love and strength. xxx

WindUpBird Sat 08-Sep-07 18:27:09

Thank you so much for the posts. Just feeling a bit emotional (hopefully pregnancy hormones!) as dd's been so ill all week, now the rash, which as soon as I saw it I thought it was meningitis. I think I'm just so relieved she's ok now. I'll ring my midwife on Monday to see what she says. Thank you again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now