Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

ANYBODY OUT THERE ANAEMIC?

(12 Posts)
loopyredangel Fri 07-Sep-07 22:37:44

Hiya, just wondering if anyone out there was suffering with there anaemia, feeling so rough, just started taking iron tablets, and not looking forward to the bowel issue. Does anybody have any hints and tips for taking iron tablets?

loopyredangel Fri 07-Sep-07 22:38:31

See I can't even type -'their anaemia' not 'there' duh!

meandmy Fri 07-Sep-07 22:40:05

take them till your bloods say other wise limit cups tea, take with orange juice (if you can stomache it) chocolate has iron in (that was my excuse anyway)
expect smelly wind!

startouchedtrinity Fri 07-Sep-07 22:40:56

Depends how bad it gets, I've had friends who had no problems and I only got them in my third pg. Eat loads for fresh and dried fruit and fresh veg, drink loads of water and if you do get bunged up get some lactulose and watch out for <whispers> piles.

NoBiggy Fri 07-Sep-07 22:44:37

Had it with both my pregnancies, second one I suffered for ages because they had my test results but did nothing as the dr was on holiday.

Anyway.

The tabs give you black poo. Can make you constipated, had the reverse effect on me. Had to stay up until the wee small hours pooing non-stop. (You did ask).

I ended up taking half the dose, and it was bearable.

My sister says if you persist the bad effect wears off. I've never found that to be the case.

Once you levels edge up switch to the iron-y water stuff whose name I've forgotten.

HTH, but I doubt it!

Alfie72 Fri 07-Sep-07 22:52:45

Make sure you take your iron with fruit juice, Vit C increases absorption. Make sure you cut down your caffeine intake- that reduces absorbency. Try and eat iron and fibre rich foods such as :
Leafy green vegetables
mushrooms
radishes
wholemeal bread, pasta and cereals
red meat - highest source
Tell your dr if you have constipation/ diarrhoea- there are other alternatives to take other than ferrous sulphate with less side effects.

moljam Fri 07-Sep-07 22:53:12

im constantly aneamic-only times i wasnt was whilst pregnant oddly!but i was told 5 dried apricots a day would give me enough iron.works well.make sure you have vitamin c with iron i think it helps you absorb it?hmmi hated the pills they made me constapated and sick!

vole3 Sat 08-Sep-07 01:57:30

Spatone is the name of the iron supplement NoBiggy was thinking of. It can be bought in Boots in the supplements section and is in an aqua and orange coloured box and is £6.95 for a months supply of 20ml sachets. You are meant to mix it with fruit juice to help absorption.
It will take about 3 weeks of being on supplements before you feel the most benefit, but you will feel SO much better.
Are you on any other medication as certain things can interfere with iron absorption, so it may be worth checking with your pharmacist.

fifisworld Sat 08-Sep-07 08:23:56

Ive been anaemic for years and it got worse when i was pg with ds1 but now with ds2 its got to the cronic stage. Ive been given ferrous gloucanate as the ferrous sulphate doesnt agree with me and makes me sick.
Ive been referred to the hospital to see if they can do anything about it as well and im just waiting for my appointmnet coming through.

DarthVader Sat 08-Sep-07 08:27:40

USe Ferrograd C - sustained release to be more gentle on the body, and combined with Vit C for better absorption - over the counter at the chemist

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sat 08-Sep-07 15:56:18

I told my midwife two weeks ago that even climbing the stairs was knocking me out and she did bloods that revealed i am aneamic.

Been taking tabs three times a day plus eating lots of wetabix and dates (iron rich food )and the usual pregnacare and symptoms have not improved.I am a hosp on Monday so will mention but am a little worried

hayley2u Sat 08-Sep-07 17:48:48

i am anaemic but i could not handle the doubledose of pregaday it made me so ill. a nurse at my grandad care home who i got chatting to told me about sytron it is really good i aint been sick on it and my bowels are much better now. so glad to hear it. it even dont taste that bad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: