Talk

Advanced search

pregnancy pillows

(4 Posts)
fabmrsv Fri 07-Sep-07 12:19:08

hi am 20 weeks pregnant and aware that i probably need to start sleeping more on my side soon (if not already?) and wondered what people thought about these pillows that are meant to help you do that? i have seen ones that are very flexible that you can bend as you want (think they are called snoozers?) and also one in jo jo maman bebe that is 's' shaped and is designed to keep you on your left hand side? does anyone have any good recommendations?

thanks!

Fingerbobs Fri 07-Sep-07 12:29:12

I got the blooming marvellous 'dream genie' and fwiw I'm off this afternoon to buy two more normal pillows instead. I just feel a bit too hemmed in with the BM one - feeling forced to sleep on one side made me very conscious of the position and lack of movement in the night, which I think made me feel worse in the morning or when I got up to go to the loo. I've also found that my hips hurt a lot less if I have enough pillows under my head, hence the trip this afternoon.
But on the other hand various friends have said they liked the snake-shaped ones, and yet others have had v. complicated arrangements with pillows front and back, involving a partner arranging them all once they're in bed.
I think what I'm trying (!) to say is, try some ordinary pillows before you buy the special ones (also to note: if by any chance you want to throw the special one out of the bed in the middle of the night in rage at its uselessness, don't. It will lie in wait for you and attempt to break your legs the next time you get up for a pee).

susiemj Fri 07-Sep-07 13:33:35

I've got the big long one from BM - not the Dream Genie which I didn't like for the same reason. I like my pillow but I think you should try out not NEW ordinary ones but some really really old squished ones. I find new ones too bulky but my dad has some really soft flat oldies that I've got my eye on.

The one I've got now is good because it's got little beans in it - like a been bag - stupid me! - and it moulds to what you want but I think I'm going to need a little pillow just for the bump. The long pillow is good for getting arms and legs comfy and not twisted round your bump - of you see what I mean.

rubydarling Sat 08-Sep-07 20:31:05

completely agree with fingerbobs. Before you spend a load of cash on some enormous five foot pillow which edges you and any sleeping partner onto the floor by morning, experiment with pillows/ cushions etc. I have managed very well- so far at least!- with a little pillow from John Lewis (£5) between the knees, and an old fleece under the bump. Not glamorous, but damn comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now