Talk

Advanced search

Yet another name thread

(53 Posts)
Kittiwake Fri 07-Sep-07 10:33:19

Okay asking for trouble here but what do people think of the name Leonard? can be shortened to Lenny or Len depending on age. It has family connections and I like it but I made the mistake of telling someone at work and she said "oh I really hate it"

Does it sound dreadfully old fashioned or has it got weird connections or something? I suppose you could think Lenny Henry, I was thinking more Leonard Cohen smile

grateful for any opinions even if they are yuck I hate it too!

Nbg Fri 07-Sep-07 10:36:20

It has both a yuck and nice thing for me grin

My grandad was called Leonard and sometimes Len for short by my Nanna.

But I had a freind who's dad was a Leonard, he was called Lenny. He smelt, was a slob and really just a revolting man.

Have I helped you there? grin

NadineBaggott Fri 07-Sep-07 10:37:00

I don't like Leonard, Lenny or Len but I do like Leo

SoMuchToBits Fri 07-Sep-07 10:38:20

Leonard sounds a little old-fashioned to me (although the main thing is that you like it), but Leo or Leon seem to be slightly more "current".

Tinkjon Fri 07-Sep-07 12:21:33

It does sound very old-fashioned indeed to me, I'm afraid - but as others have said, it's whether you like it. Why not go the middle name route?

Kittiwake Fri 07-Sep-07 12:33:06

Hmmmm not good so far but good to have some opinions!

I know I should not be worried about what others think and it's my choice as people have said but on the other hand I don't want to saddle this little one with a name that is a bit Meh grin

nailpolish Fri 07-Sep-07 12:34:03

i like Leo

hanaflower Fri 07-Sep-07 12:40:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pheebe Fri 07-Sep-07 12:40:19

To me Leonard is a very old fashioned, old mans name. Normally I like old fashioned but in this case it just doesn't sound like a babies, child or even a teenagers name. Leo sound much better. You could always put Leonard on his birth certificate but shorten it for everything else

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 07-Sep-07 12:42:41

How about Lancelot shortened to Lenny or Len? Or is that too unusual? (I knew a Liverpudlian Lance who's now in his late 30s.)

kittylouise Fri 07-Sep-07 12:54:10

I like Len and Lenny, but not Leonard. Leonard conjurs up images of tweed and pipesmoke.

newgirl Fri 07-Sep-07 12:58:07

i think you are ahead of the times and it will become popular again

i could see a rock star as a leonard - sort of cool!

i prefer leo and leon but leo is popular

Hayleyandbaby Fri 07-Sep-07 13:00:19

Have you thought about Lennon? A little more hip considering it's noel or liam gallaghers son.

It's important you like it so try not to listen to other TOO much although it's good to get feedback. on the other hand, your baby has got to live with it's name for the rest of its life.

What do you or what does anybody think of the names my fiance and I have picked:

Halli Joules for a girl. Joules is after my mum.
Kaeden Michael for a boy. michael is after my partner's desceased dad.

Hayleyandbaby Fri 07-Sep-07 13:04:17

Oh yeah and Leo's lovely x

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 13:06:59

Hayley and baby : your child will spend their whole life correcting everyone's pronunciation and spelling of Halli/Kaeden

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 13:08:10

Leo, Lenny and Lennon are fine.

Hayleyandbaby Fri 07-Sep-07 13:09:17

Actually you're probably right about kaeden.
I meant Hallie sorry.

Miaou Fri 07-Sep-07 13:09:45

Hayley, start a new thread otherwise it will get confusing on here smile!

Re. Leonard - I had a boss who I hated called Len so no great associations for me! I can imagine Lenny would grow on people though.

It's one of those names that people will comment on though, so unless you truly don't care what other people think then I would think twice about using it. I once knew someone who called their son Ronald (Scotland btw), Ronnie for short, and though it really suited him she said she would have been very upset by some of the comments if she wasn't so hard grin

Kog Fri 07-Sep-07 13:12:51

I think Leonard is a fabulous name. I love it. It's a good strong male name, but old fashioned enough to be quirky.

Not so keen on Leo, but like Len and Lenny.

But then everyone HATES my DD's name, so maybe don't listen to me.

MrsBadger Fri 07-Sep-07 13:16:45

I rather like Leonard, but I doubt he'll ever be called anything but Lenny or Len.

Afraid I prefer more traditional names, Hayley.

Budababe Fri 07-Sep-07 13:20:16

An old boyf had a mate called Leonard. Really nice handsome guy! (Wonder what happened to him actually!).

morethanmum Fri 07-Sep-07 13:21:34

Leonard's cool - I like Leo (ds no 2 is Leo) - i think he'll be Lenny though. Don't do Lennon - it's a bit trying too hard, unless you really are a fan. BTW no-one will be rude once he arrives and gets named - it's only okay to be rude before the birth!

Kog Fri 07-Sep-07 19:52:01

morethanmum - I wish that was true. I was stunned by the number of people who were rude about DD's name AFTER we'd named her. I spent the first night at home with her in floods of tears because instead of "congratulations" we got "you can't really call her that, it's a dreadful name". This was from friends and family.

DD is now 16 months old and some family members STILL chunter about it.

The silly thing was, the more people told me I was being silly and mustn't use the name, the more I felt trapped into calling her that - in my mind it would have felt like I wasn't standing up for her if I'd capitulated and meekly called her something sensible to please people.

I do now wonder if we've done the right thing sometimes, though I'd die a million times before I ever admitted that to anyone.

Sorry - bit of a tangent there - all came flooding out.

For the record, DP and I absolutely adore her name and don't regret our choice one bit. I just hope we haven't given her a hurdle to overcome.

collision Fri 07-Sep-07 19:55:04

Dont like Leonard at all but think Leo is cute.

Hayley I really dont like your choice of names as I think they will date and be out of fashion very quickly and the way they are spelt are just asking for trouble!

You will get

Cayden
Kayden
Caydon
Caydn

anything but the way you want it.

sorry but you did ask.

belgo Fri 07-Sep-07 19:57:15

Kog - what did you name her? I'm intrigued.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now